Diarrhea after drinking protein shakes, why??? x-post

Shana16
on 10/3/11 4:26 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I have be drinking shakes for 6 months and just starting having diarrhea 20 minutes after drinking my shakes. I am making with milk but can drink milk and have no problems.  I read some were that your body can only handle so much protein at one time and if I am taking in to much at one given time?  I am drinking Pure Protein 25g of protein with milk but when I do the Muscle Milk 16g for 8oz I have now problem but then when I do 2 scoops of Muscle Milk at 32g8oz of milk then I will have diarrhea.
   So am I drinking to much at one given time? Is smaller amounts better? What should I be lookfor in a shake or bar 10g,16,25g etc of protein? Thanks so very much...

LIVE HOPE DREAM

Shana

(deactivated member)
on 10/3/11 7:34 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
"If it hurts when you do that, don't do that"

Sometimes a certain manufacturer's product just doesn't agree with our systems.

I've never heard of diarrhea with protein shakes. 

Get some samples of other protein products and give them a try. 

Why are you putting so much into one drink?  I've used the Isopure Ultra-low Carb Dutch
Chocolate for years, and while it calls for two scoops, I only use one for 25 grams of protein
in 10 oz of 1% milk and feel perfectly satisfied.

Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 10/3/11 7:58 pm
I had diarrhea for weeks until I switched to a protein powder without any sugar alcohols or Splenda.  POOF!  Problem solved.  As well it was a short-term sensitivity.  I don't consume sugar alcohols but can tolerate Splenda.
jfur
on 10/3/11 11:41 pm - Topeka, KS
I have had this problem too. I had the worst abdominal pain too! It was awful. When I switched to soy milk it wasn't near as bad. I still had some discomfort, but it was alot better. If you get the premade protein shakes they seem to do less stomach damage. I did the atkins ones for a while and there are some soy ones at Sam's Club that are just fantastic. No stomach pain at all. I have found that with our new little systems we never really know what's going to make us double over. I chewed some gum yesterday and thought I was having a heart attack till I spit it out. Every day an adventure, right?
M M
on 10/4/11 12:10 am
Stop using Muscle Milk.

Find something else and mix it with water for now.
Shana16
on 10/4/11 1:05 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I mix 1 scoop in 8oz of milk for 16g sometimes when I am going to have a busy day and won't be able to take my lunch on time I mix 2 scoops in 16oz of milk like it said to do. If I drink it with scoop 8oz water I have no issues.  If I do the 2 scoops of muscle milk in 16oz then I have diarrhea.  Or if I drink the Pure Protein with one scoop 8oz milk 25g of protein I will have it then too. That is what I do not understand why am I getting diarrhea with the higher amount of protein?  I can drink whole milk and eat cheese with out getting sick.  I don't get any pain or gas.  I do however get sweaty and hot and sometimes a runny nose if I drink it to fast or to much at one time. Is that normal?
 LIVE HOPE DREAM

Shana

Most Active