Different Opinions about Weight Loss Surgery

Amber S.
on 9/16/11 1:24 pm - Brooklyn Park, MN
I have been prescribed like an unlimmited supply of Zofran for nausea.  But still almost every time I eat anything more than 1/2 cup? I should be way passed that. I don't have insurance anymore, so I can't really go back to the doctor. They never really did anything to help anyways. Just offer advice. I suppose it was too early to consider reversing it at all. Now I'm stuck without insurance though and hoping I stay healthy. It doesn't look really good for my future. Right now I'm ok, but I'm just worried about what's going to happen to me in a couple of years. Just going to live happily, trust God to take care of me, do my best nutritionally and hope I don't pass out while I'm driving a car lol. I can always ask you old timers for advice too like I am doing.  Thanks for your comments guys =)

* Nicole *
on 9/16/11 2:30 am
I agree, you have to walk the walk and talk the talk for more than a couple years to get it right. You dont expect to know your career inside and out within a couple years of starting it, so how is a new body arraingment be any different.

From a 6 year post-op DSr

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

Emily F.
on 9/16/11 5:27 am
But it works in reverse as well, there are a few 'vets' that would would not listen to ANY advice they for how they live their life. Just sayin'.
Docj
on 9/16/11 3:28 pm
Revision on 09/01/88
Yup, good point. I've written aboutThe Honeymoon period. I don't see too many WLS old-timers on here. Even though I had my first procedure (BPD) in 85', I just recently joined this site. You know... when reality does finally sink in, it can be a real b*&%#.
tee t.
on 9/25/11 5:18 pm
 1986 right here!

t
JIB 1986
revised to RNY 2004
plastics 2004,2006, 2009
CAJUNMAN3366
on 9/17/11 1:01 am - Breaux Bridge, LA
If you can read this post my DS hasnt killed me yet~! for the record i am half the man i use to be and twice the man i was.......thanks to my DS~! and support from awesome friends from all WLS procedures~!

First annual DS cruise is in the books.  Dark Side Cruise Redux: July 15,2012.
Check us out on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/home.php
dustydeer
on 9/18/11 1:07 pm, edited 9/18/11 1:08 am
I have had complications with my surgery, so let's talk to me a min......ask me anything, and I will answer it.
I had a ds 2 years ago and a revision to increase my bowel length at the common channel@ about a year...

ask away..

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

LosingSally
on 9/25/11 3:37 pm
This is a late reply, sorry about that.
I was 6 years out in August. I regained first 5 then 5 more pounds in I think my 3-4 th years. This past year, I lost  15 over a several months.
Avoiding a lot of refined carbs due to stinking gas is about the only real effort I have made even since the beginning. I exercised for a couple of years then  joint pain made it harder to do regularly. I still walk some, but that's about it.
I have always noticed that most cheerleaders of any surgery are 2 or less years out. I also noticed that there are always  a few people with any type surgery that do well both in the beginning and as they get further out. Myself being one of those.
As for a down side, if I eat even that last spoonful over the limit to too much, I am miserable for a couple of hours at least. To prevent this, I pay close attention to where that limit is. This causes me to think about food and eating in ways that really take up too much time. I guess you could say I find myself thinking of food more than I want to.
I had thought going into the surgery, that I wouldn't have to think or plan what and how ,much to eat, etc. I didn't have much instruction or post-op support because I had surgery in India. I found this site well after surgery. I was so excited that even the real possibility of complications just blew right over my head.
I don't think anyone has the perfect experience, but like many, I guess I would say my outcome has been worth the downsides I've experienced.
Now in a few years I may find myself gaining and then struggling to get it back off.  I hope not.
Mary Catherine
on 9/25/11 9:07 pm
 Losingsally, thanks so much for your reply.  

Which surgery did you have?  How much did you lose?
LosingSally
on 9/27/11 4:31 pm
I had a RNY with a very small pouch, along with the intestines of a DS with a common channel of 200 cm. This somewhat longer than the general DS, but it's worked great for me.
I do take the usual vitamins and supplements, and get labs done once a year. So far, so good.
I lost 144 pounds , regained 10, and then lost 15, so that would be 149 total.
Most Active