Different Opinions about Weight Loss Surgery

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/11 9:10 am
beemerbeeper
on 9/15/11 9:38 am - AL
You spout more lies than a politician.  Why do you do that? 

Those of us who have the DS will be the first to explain the requirement for supplementation and labs FOR LIFE post DS. I link people to the lab list almost every single day.

Have you read the DS forum?  Don't you see all the threads where we talk about labs and vites and supplements?  Sometimes it is all we talk about!!

Why do you feel the need to scream "fire" and try to scare people away from the best surgery available today (for everything the scientists study except for the resolution of GERD)???  

What is your problem?

~Becky

Mary_J
on 9/15/11 10:18 am
On September 15, 2011 at 12:51 PM Pacific Time, ♫♪Mini-Me's Mommy♪♫ wrote:
 We all TALK about the DS    as if it werethe holy grail .... but the REALITY is many DS patients have  SERIOUS   DEADLY   complications a few years post from malabsorption.

This  is comin g   from a woman who DREAMs of a DS   lol 
A month short of 4 years out. Still happy, healthy, and 20+ lbs below goal.
larra
on 9/15/11 11:06 am - bay area, CA
I'm yet another Ds'er who is over 5 years post-op - no serious or deadly complications yet.

Read the longterm studies of large numbers of patients with the DS. The Hess study includes nearly 1,000 patients who were at least 10 years post-op. The Marceau study goes out 15 years. In both cases, the number of patients with nutritional problems from the malabsorption was very small, and for most patients was related to noncompliance. The number needing reoperation as a last resort to fix these problems was even smaller.
     Malabsorption does not equal malnutrition. With committment to proper protein intake, vitamin and supplements, and annual labs, almost all of us do very well. Yes, there are some people who bring problems upon themselves, and it's easier to get into trouble with the DS, but it's still almost always self-induced. Don't blame the operation, blame noncompliance.
     And in addition to our good nutritional health, we have the benefits of the highest average percentage of excess weight loss, best maintainence of that weight loss, and best resolution of all comorbidities except GERD (where RNY does do better). We don't dump, we can take NSAIDs, we don't have to count every calorie.
     THAT is the reality. If you are really dreaming of a DS, learn more about it. If you would like to read the articles from the medical literature for yourself, the ones referenced above, just send me a pm.

Larra
Kathleen F.
on 9/15/11 11:35 am

Hmmm. I'm over 10 years out and haven't had any "SERIOUS DEADLY complications" yet. http://factorycollectibles.com/Large_Pictures/T-Shirts/I%27m%20Not%20Dead%20Yet%20-Monty%20Python.jpg

Nicolle
on 9/15/11 11:43 am
 We all TALK about the DS    as if it werethe holy grail .... but the REALITY is many DS patients have  SERIOUS   DEADLY   complications a few years post from malabsorption.

As usual, you are talking out of your ass. I am 3.5 years out from my DS and according to you, I should be at Death's door. Instead I am healthy and happy. My labs are great and I feel great. I eat what I want and I enjoy food.

Stick to what you know...1980s fashions, anorexia, poor grammar and stupidity.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

I love Chocolate
on 9/15/11 1:14 pm - Labrador, Australia
Definitely, not dead yet..................... 
kirmy
on 9/15/11 8:35 pm - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Hi beautiful long time no see!!!!

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
(deactivated member)
on 9/18/11 3:07 am - Califreakinfornia , CA

Ugh, I've had enough of your dumb ass comments...click block
(deactivated member)
on 9/15/11 8:10 am - Bayonne, NJ
I lived with RNY from 6/2003 to 12/2009. I think 6.5 years was enough. My revision wasn't due to regain (although I did have some), it was due to other RNY problems - the ring around my stoma, RH, dumping, etc.

I've only lived witht he DS since 12/2009, but I haven't been this happy or healthy in years. Would I do it all again? I don't regret the RNY, because it gave me back my life when I needed it, but I do wish there had been more DS information given to me back then.
Most Active