Duodenal Switch = better weight loss + more adverse events?

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/11 4:18 am - San Jose, CA
Uh, that's not a link, it's his email address.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/7/11 4:46 am
Derp. It shows as a link for me. I'm clearly still in need of coffee this morning.
Proudtobaloser
on 9/7/11 8:26 am - Fayetteville, NC
"And several suffered long-term malnutrition -- something not seen in the gastric bypass group."
Cough cough BULL**** cough cough. If that was the case then why in the heck were we told during our orientation AND group meetings that malnutrition can happen in ALL the surgeries? This guy sounds like someone who needs a backwards lobotomy to fix his backwards thinking.

As for saying no more DS surgeries need done- let people choose this NOT some quck who isn't a surgeon himself.

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

Docj
on 9/7/11 10:28 am
Revision on 09/01/88
One caveat about studies reported in popular media or by Reuters, sometimes they leave out crucial technical facts.

Also, Livingston wasn't even involved in the study.

This study did have a small n (sample) but it was screwy to pick someone like Livingston to comment and weird too. Test construction is an important consideration when conducting research as is conflict of interest, expertise of surgeons, etc.

That's why it's always better to pull the original study article minus
the "popular" commentary. Go to Med-Line or a similar, reputable database to read these things.

Just the facts mam...
Born Lucky
on 9/7/11 2:27 pm
 Kinda makes me wonder if the insurance companies are working behind the scenes to limit coverage for wls because the extra weight loss doesn't "actually accomplish anything" in terms of health improvement or improved life expectancy.

Tami
 273/150/158
"All things are possible when you find and believe in your own personal strength."
Formerly "TamiFromAL"; 4cc band, unfilled
Most Active