WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT -- $4,000 PROGRAM FEE!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/11 8:19 am
OK, this is ridiculous.

As of January 1, I will have Anthem BCBS -- a huge improvement over Tricare Prime.  I think I can wait until then.  I am exercising and treating my body better by eating more fresh foods and watching portions size.

But THIS news shocked me today.   Dr.  Keshishian of Glendale, CA charges a $4,000 "program fee" to patients.  I am disgusted.  He is considered one of the best and yet he is involved in a practice that insurance companies find unethical and grounds for dropping him from their insurance policies.

Have all of you paid these fees?

This link shows all the insurance carriers he takes:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-ara-keshishian/#profile_insurance

Now I know why.  If he accepts all those, he can then collect $4,000 from each of patient -- on top of what each insurance company pays.

I genuinely feel this is discrimination against the obese.  Cardiac and Cancer patients are not charged fees in addition to what insurance pays. Why us?  Because of my media contacts (I'm in PR), I am ready to write a press release, distribute it and see how the doctors feel when this info is public.  I know the insurance companies do not support doctors charging fees beyond what is covered in the policy.   This has to stop or people will die because they don't have the money.

It's a tight economy and paying $4K just to get heatlthy seems wrong.  Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for your constructive answers.

M

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/23/11 8:28 am

Since there are many doctors - you may have a choice and go to someone else.

The program that I signed for had a program fee. That fee paid for all nut appointments, weekly support meetings...  and for all psych appointments for life.   A lot of people will not not go or do not have access to the nut or psych before or after ... so I felt that the program fee was reasonable.  The clinic also run - 24/7 doc on call... And first few weeks and months post op RNY - I really needed and used that.
I do not go to the nut anymore, but some of my friends do. Psych - you bet... Once in a while when my life feels like it is spinning out of control it is good to know I can call and make an appointment to see a professional. 

So before you get on the high horse - find out what the fee covers, and if it is worth the money. I know mine was. 
The clinics can choose to charge a "program fee..."  and you have a choice to go to them or pick another center. 
I chose that center, even with a fee since I knew that I would want the support and their expertise after the RNY...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/11 8:31 am
You were o****il you used the words "high horse".  Please do not contact me again.  You are rude.  My insurance covers nutrition and psych so why do I have to line the pockets of HIS vendors.

Bye Hala.  You keep going to the nut and the psych.
H.A.L.A B.
on 8/23/11 8:34 am
The post was in no way meant to offend you. Sorry you took it the wrong way.
Good luck on your journey.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Judi J.
on 8/23/11 11:20 am - MN
you are one of the nicest, most helpful people around. Obviously this person is a tool
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 8/23/11 8:51 am
 So before you get on the high horse

I don't think Hala's comment is offensive & it's hard to see why you would.

unless you have a stick up your butt.

now that's how offensive looks.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/11 8:55 am
 Really?  Reallllllllllly?  Do you feel better about yourself for sending that?
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 8/23/11 9:11 am
 I feel OK.

do you "feel better about your self" for being snotty to Hala?

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Elizabeth N.
on 8/23/11 9:55 am - Burlington County, NJ
Hala is a vet with a lot of sense. You might want to grow some thicker skin and do so quickly.

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/11 10:19 am, edited 8/22/11 10:28 pm - Rockville, MD
Do you know if you have lap band anywhere in your post you will be viciously attacked and abused on the main forum? I am not sure why there is extreme hatefulness, bitterness and lashing out at those who want a band. It does not make sense to me as a pre op. But I see it frequently from the same cult members...lol.

I agree a $4000 program fee sound excessive to me, I would shop around. There is no way I would pay that, it sound criminal.
Most Active