Two reasons why the Lap Band can't possibly work for everyone.

Julie R.
on 8/16/11 5:30 am - Ludington, MI
 I had to laugh at your comment, "if they live through the surgery itself."    Hmmmm.....am I the only DS'er who lived through the surgery?   Bring on some stats here, and put your money (instead of your ass) where your mouth is.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 11:20 am
MsBatt
on 8/16/11 12:19 pm
On August 16, 2011 at 12:30 PM Pacific Time, Julie R. wrote:
 I had to laugh at your comment, "if they live through the surgery itself."    Hmmmm.....am I the only DS'er who lived through the surgery?   Bring on some stats here, and put your money (instead of your ass) where your mouth is.
I'm still alive---coming up on EIGHT YEARS now. Guess I'm a freak of nature.
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 5:35 am - Lancaster, OH
On August 16, 2011 at 11:33 AM Pacific Time, Undecided_2 wrote:
Exactly, NONE are perfect at least you get to live in most cir****tances if the band slips or even erodes and you are not injured for life..lol, with other surgeries if complications occurs it's usually death..

I was out to lunch last weekend with my sister and friend with RNY and she could not eat freely from the menu, it had to be all protein based, she was limited to baked fish and beans at 5 years post op, if she did not want to risk an embarrassing dumping attack in front of everyone, my sister with the band who is 4 years post op, ordered what she wanted, but just ate less of it.

Let's be fair here, if you are going to talk about dangerous surgeries, talk about the DS that most surgeons that I've talked to will not do, not because it's complicated but because it will kill patients easily if don't comply, if they live through the surgery itself,.if you don't comply with the band rules, you just don't lose weight or your band slips from being too tight, but if you don't comply with RNY or the DS you die or become extremely malnourished.
"with other surgeries if complications occurs it's usually death.."

You're not actually typing that with a straight face, are you?  Really?  Sadly, we DID lose a DSer this last week, but it was a surgery complication, not life after DS.  But, I gotta tell you, we're not exactly dropping like flies here.  Complications happen all the time.  People don't "usually" die from them.

And here's some more complete and utter bull**** from you:  According to the doctors that YOU'VE interviewed, the DS  "will kill patients easily if don't comply "   If we don't comply, we get sick way before we would die.  Sickness is the sign to let reasonably intelligent people know that they need to do something to remedy the problem.  Like getting labs and supplementing properly.

In general, you won't get a fair evaluation of the DS from a surgeon who does not perform the surgery, period.  Not that you care, I'm sure.
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 5:43 am - Rockville, MD

Trust me I've looked into the DS, the way you guys make it seems, it's the best thing since sliced bread! I would be knocking down doors to get it myself it I did not have to take the supplement regimen it required and continuous lab evaluations for life, I don't care about the pooping issues *giggles*, but it's just not for me, I don't like living on the edge.

But I do applaud those who get it and stay healthy, congrats to you and I wish you well. I wish everyone  well who try to get healthy and combat obesity, whether they choose RNY, DS, Lap band or Sleeve, it's all an individual choice.

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 5:52 am - Lancaster, OH
On August 16, 2011 at 12:43 PM Pacific Time, Undecided_2 wrote:

Trust me I've looked into the DS, the way you guys make it seems, it's the best thing since sliced bread! I would be knocking down doors to get it myself it I did not have to take the supplement regimen it required and continuous lab evaluations for life, I don't care about the pooping issues *giggles*, but it's just not for me, I don't like living on the edge.

But I do applaud those who get it and stay healthy, congrats to you and I wish you well. I wish everyone  well who try to get healthy and combat obesity, whether they choose RNY, DS, Lap band or Sleeve, it's all an individual choice.

*giggles*......
How old are you? 

And, you do know, don't you, that many DSers fight constipation?
(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 6:02 am - Califreakinfornia , CA

A lot of lap banders have to supplement too. I myself became anemic, and deficient in D and calcium because I wasn't able to get enough supplement from the limited amount of food my band allowed me to eat.

Just wanted you to know that this is possible with any WLS.
MsBatt
on 8/16/11 12:21 pm

I SERIOUSLY think you should run right out and get yourself a Lap-Band. You deserve one, today!!!
tripmom02
on 8/16/11 2:41 pm - NJ
 That made me laugh out loud! 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Patty_Glez
on 8/18/11 9:24 am - tijuana, Mexico
O.M.G  LIKE
Most Active