alcohol

lisazvocalz
on 7/28/11 6:19 am - Denver, CO
I know that alcohol effects the body differently once you have had RNY WLS.  I would like to know if anyone has heard of a breathalyzer being inaccurate becauseof the surgery?
~BEAUTY REFLECTS THE IMAGE THAT LIES WITHIN~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Lisa H.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kinda ironic
Birthday:     01/07/80
Rebirthday:11/17/08 

Dave Chambers
on 7/28/11 7:19 am - Mira Loma, CA
I doubt any difference in the reading. In fact you may fell fine, but fail the breathalyzer.   Lots of data shows that alcohol is harder on postop's internal organs than non wt loss patients.  Cross additction to alcohol is a very big issue.  If going out is your social thing, consider virgin drinks to avoid these issues.  It's the same with smoking. People may not smoke at home, but once in a club or bar, they revert to old habits of smoking again.  There are multiple people in my support groups who did not drink alcohol preop, but decided a glass of wine after work was ok. Then two glasses....then becoming an alcoholic and gaining wt.  Two members of one of my support groups began smoking again post op. Both patients had ulcer surgeries, and the recovery was far more difficult that their original RNY surgery. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/11 7:46 am
The test would not be inaccurate, no. However after the RNY you do not process it the same.. so you will reach a higher BAC with the same amount of alcohol than a normie would, and unfortunately you will stay higher (BAC) longer.. which means you will be legally drunk faster and longer than someone that did not have the operation.

There's several articles out there on it- here's one that someone posted a while back.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4300639/Here-is-a-good-artical-explaining-our-bodys-reaction-to/

http://www.wlshelp.com/news/gastric-bypass-surgery-intensifi es-effects-of-alcohol/

elleis160
on 7/28/11 7:52 am - Charlotte, NC
When you have had WLS and drink, the alcohol flows through your system quicker and makes you drunker.  You Blood levels will be higher than a normal person's
Proudtobaloser
on 7/28/11 8:58 am - Fayetteville, NC