PRE-OPS ONLY! Post-ops, read about the DS at your own risk

girlygirl1313
on 7/27/11 9:51 pm - Davidson, NC
 Yep, screw em.  This info was never meant for post-ops but sometimes I think.... 'or is it' ?
Seeing as the DS board is slowly becoming the de facto Revision board.

THINK TWICE CUT ONCE, PEOPLE!

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/11 3:40 am - San Jose, CA
I wonder if Gov. Christie knows about the DS, or that he has a skilled DS surgeon, Dr. Greenbaum, in his own backyard??
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/07/28/7188394-nj-g ov-christie-hospitalized-because-of-difficulty-breathing

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) was hospitalized with “difficulty breathing," his office confirms to WNBC’s Brian Thompson.

Here’s a statement from Christie Press Secretary Michael Drewniak:

"Governor Christie was having difficulty breathing this morning and out of an abundance of caution he went to Somerset Medical Center to be checked out. In line with someone dealing with asthma, he is being given routine tests as a precautionary measure. The Governor is extremely grateful for the quality of care he is receiving this morning and has nothing but praise for the world-class doctors, nurses and staff."

*** UPDATE *** Thompson has more:

While it is not known if this is an asthmatic attack at this point, a source close to the governor confirms Christie has suffered from asthma for years.

"He carries an inhaler with him," this source told NBC New York.

He also noted that the governor's weight doesn't help his health issues.

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/11 5:57 am - Bayonne, NJ
Would it be really mean of me to say that I hope that Christie doesn't find the DS? I'm so bad...

To all pre-ops. Read the revision board. Read how many people are looking for a revision, then look at their original surgery types. There are people who have had 3 & 4 surgeries because doctors keep pushing them to the wrong types for their bodies.
Chilipepper
on 7/29/11 11:48 am
On July 28, 2011 at 12:57 PM Pacific Time, baileymouse wrote:
Would it be really mean of me to say that I hope that Christie doesn't find the DS? I'm so bad...

To all pre-ops. Read the revision board. Read how many people are looking for a revision, then look at their original surgery types. There are people who have had 3 & 4 surgeries because doctors keep pushing them to the wrong types for their bodies.
I am really really surpised you would say something like that.  That wasn't "bad"...that was ****ty! 

I wouldn't wish obesity on anybody...I don't care who they are or what letter that have next to their name! 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/11 5:00 am - NY
Word is that Christie hired a personal trainer...
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/11 5:04 am, edited 7/29/11 5:04 am - NY
How much of the original post applies to VSG without the DS?

Edited for clarity.
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/11 9:28 am - San Jose, CA
For the VSG:

FACTS
  1. The DS has by far the best average weight loss of any of the surgeries a statistical fact   DOES NOT APPLY TO THE VSG
  2. More importantly, the DS has by far the best average LONG TERM MAINTENANCE of weight loss of all surgeriesa statistical fact DOES NOT APPLY TO THE VSG
  3. The DS has by far the best CURE RATE FOR TYPE 2 DIABETES, including LONG TERM CURE, even with weight regain (the others have substantial rates of diabetes returning, especially with the far more likely weight regain)a statistical fact DOES NOT APPLY TO THE VSG
  4. The DS is suitable for ANYONE who qualifies for bariatric surgery, and not just SMOs, which has been recognized by the ASMBS, ACE, Medicare, and most insurance companies, even for BMIs >35 with a serious co-morbidity (especially if that is diabetes or hypercholesterolemia – a statistical fact DOES NOT APPLY TO THE VSG - although in the reverse - it is far less effective as a definitive procedure for people with a BMI >45
  5. The DS has the easiest post-op dietary regimen of all of the surgeries – FAT IS YOUR FRIEND.  Little to no restriction on eating delicious high fat, high protein foods, because you don’t absorb much fat – and your cholesterol and triglycerides will plummet, without meds DOES NOT APPLY TO THE VSG - you can't eat fat freely any more than you could pre-op because you don't have the benefit of malabsorption
  6. Good DS foods include marbled steak, crab legs with butter, chicken WITH the skin, cheeseburgers with all the fixings (but hold the bun), scallops sautéed in butter, cheese of every sort, eggs – and BACON! DOES NOT APPLY TO THE VSG, except to the extent that you can limit yourself to small portions - again, no malabsorption.
  7. No dumping, no food getting stuck, no limitations on drinking with meals, no sliming or “productive burping," no fills and unfills, no stoma blockage, no marginal ulcers, no restrictions on taking NSAIDs DOES APPLY TO THE VSG
WARNINGS - don't get the surgery if you

1. Are too stupid to follow the simple rules of the DS: eat high protein, take your supplements, get your labs done diligently and adjust your supplements as necessary DOES APPLY TO THE VSG, but to a different extent - different rules, more dieting, less supplementation
  2. Are too lacking in self-control to manage/time your overall intake of refined carbs to avoid weight gain and gas DOES APPLY TO THE VSG, at least with respect to weight gain - less issue with gas
  3. Are too sheep-like to argue with your PCP or surgeon for the right to have the most effective WLS DOES APPLY TO THE VSG if your insurance doesn't cover it, but doctors are less likely to be uninformed and thus scared of it
  4. Are too passive to fight your insurance company to get the DS, when most of them will LOSE on appeal DOES APPLY TO THE VSG, if your insurance doesn't cover it
  5. Are too cowed by doctors to stand up to them in the future, to explain what surgery you had and how your treatments need to be tailored DOES NOT APPLY TO THE VSG - most doctors can understand a sleeve
  6. Are too submissive to advocate for yourself DOES NOT APPLY TO THE VSG, at least as much - it's less likely that you will have to convince a doctor of something he doesn't understand
  7. Are too weak to be certain that you will ALWAYS ensure your access to necessary protein, supplements, lab tests and other medical care DOES NOT APPLY TO THE VSG, at least to the extent that you can probably go about your life without being as concerned about what surgery you had - (of course you know what will happen if you don't pay attention)
  8. Are too dim-witted or so brainwashed by Judeo-Christian “morality" to understand that eating delicious flavorful food that you enjoy and which is right for your anatomy is not sinful or gluttonous – it is wonderful! DOES NOT APPLY TO THE VSG - you are still going to have to diet, so all the free fat stuff doesn't apply
  9. Are so self-loathing that you feel you need to suffer to atone for your sins in order to enjoy life with weight loss surgery DOES APPLY TO THE VSG, to the extent that it doesn't have some of the awful issues that the Lapband and RNY have with respect to quality of life
Remember

1. Insurance coverage for the DS is expanding all the time, and even if your policy does not cover the procedure you have a good chance of getting it covered on appeal DOES APPLY TO THE VSG, although absence of long-term data will still be difficult to overcome
  2. Only a qualified DS surgeon can help you figure out if the DS is for you - if you see a RNY surgeon, he is going to tell you to have a RNY DOES APPLY TO THE VSG
  3. If you see a surgeon who SAYS he offers the DS, but then tries to talk you into something else, odds are you’ve gone to a “bait-and-don’t-switch" surgeon – check the surgeon list at DSFacts.com before you go. DOES NOT APPLY TO THE VSG - sleeve surgeons are not that rare, and the sleeve isn't that hard to do
  4. WARNING: More and more insurance companies are instituting a “one bariatric surgery per lifetime" restriction on their policies, no matter WHO paid for the first surgery – and you may not get a second chance to have a revision if you pick a surgery that doesn’t work for you in the first place DOES APPLY TO THE VSG - IN SPADES!!
  5. Revision patients lose more slowly and lose less on average DOES APPLY TO THE VSG, whether you are being converted from something else to a sleeve, or a sleeve to a DS
  6. Revisions are MUCH more dangerous surgeries than virgin surgeries DOES APPLY TO THE VSG - ABSOLUTELY! And this is where I am most concerned about the sleeve, because I think there is going to be a slew of people needing revisions to their sleeves in a few years, and resleeving carries a high risk of complications
  7. Think about the psychological damage it would cause you to work your ass off to work your ass off with a less effective surgery – only to have it fail DOES APPLY TO THE VSG - IN SPADES!!

Tassia
on 7/29/11 10:00 am
Wow, Diana.  Props to you that you took the time to specifically answer this person's post about the VSG.  
*   Take 1 DS, add a little p90x and stir :)
5' 3"  HW 293/SW 253/Goal 130/CW 128

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/11 1:03 pm - NY
Thanks for such a detailed response, Diana!

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 1:59 am - Woodbridge, VA
The ONLY thing I would change about your assertions regarding applicability to the VSG is that VSGers can eat lots of fat as long as they also are eating low in carbs - this is true even without any surgery at all. Ketogenic diets (high fat, low carb) are healthy for most folks - the majority of the medical community just hasn't quite caught on and, therefore, won't prescribe such a diet even though it's highly successful.
Most Active