100 Grams of Protein

Hvhmom
on 6/29/11 3:16 am - raleigh, NC
A couple of days ago I posted my frustration with a 3 pound weight gain four months post op DESPITE the fact that I consume less than 20 grams of carb per day.  I only eat dense protein and drink water with the exception of an occasional green apple or 2 strawberries.   It was suggested to me to up my calories (now 480-625) to 800-900 and close to 100 grams of protein.
My question is how do I get in 100 grams of protein, 64 oz water, and keep my carb intake ultra low?
Please share what you do to achieve this.    Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

Dennia

HW 269/SW 263/CW 184/GW 135                        
Karen P.
on 6/29/11 3:46 am
Can you add another protein shake into your daily routine?

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/29/11 3:51 am
Carb free protein shake. Whey isolate. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donnamarie
on 6/29/11 4:22 am, edited 6/29/11 4:25 am - NY
Hi Dennia,

I often reach between 90 and 100 grams of protein a day and between 800-1000 calories a day.  My fats are always around 30 gms and my carbs are never higher than 50 gms.  If there are carb grams in your intake and they are for fruit or yogurt or skim milk, those are not BAD carbs at all.  The carbs you need to stay away from are the processed carbs.  We all know what they are.

I start with a protein shake so my day starts with a solid 25 grams of protein. My protein powder is 20 gms per scoop and I prefer skim milk and that is another 5 grams of protein.  I usually eat either tuna, deli turkey, turkey chili, turkey meatballs or some other fish for lunch.  That right there is another 20-25 grams of protein.  Plain Greek yogurt is 18 gms of protein for a 6 ounce serving.  Add your strawberries to that and you have a very protein dense meal or snack.  For dinner it is almost always a piece of salmon or tilapia which is anywhere from 15 - 27 grams of protein depending on what type you buy. 

May I ask why your calorie intake is so low??  I know different surgeons call for different programs but 480 - 625 sounds frighteningly low.

good luck and let us know how it goes!!!

"Accountability first to yourself, then nobody else matters"

Hvhmom
on 6/29/11 9:44 pm - raleigh, NC

Thanks for these useful tips!  I typically DONT do a protein shake because I loath them.  My calorie intake is usually low because I do not snack and I tend to eat heavier protein ie salmon, steak, roast pork, baked or stew chicken, etc.  These things keep me full for a very long time.  The urge to snack in between meals just does not happen.   In the morning I may start with a greek yogurt, boiled egg, or a scrambled egg with a couple of slices of tomatoes.   The rest of the day is just fish or meat and a little bit of vegetables AND water.   The only time that I go off the beaten path is when I have a green apple or a couple of strawberries.
I see and fear that I will have to make peace with protein shakes in order to achieve a higher protein level.

Thanks again!

Dennia

HW 269/SW 263/CW 184/GW 135                        
BobbiesGirl Ree
on 6/29/11 9:49 pm
Try Nectar protein- its good.
    Some girls are bigger than others.       ~The Smiths
   You can never win or lose, if you don't run the race.
                                                          ~Psychedelic Furs

:obscene-smokingweed: 
girlygirl1313
on 6/30/11 9:51 pm - Davidson, NC
 Do the protein shake shake shake!  I drink 50g of unflavored protein in my morning coffee every morning. 22 oz glass  - 6-8oz Hal&Half - 2 scoops powder, stir, add hot coffee, stir more and skim off any foam.

Loads of hot and cold coffee recipes here to suit a wide range of tastes.

I actually enjoy my morning coffee and it eases up on how much protein I need to eat the rest of the day.

~GG