The end

Aberdare
on 6/29/11 9:53 am - Bellevue, WA
What do you do when the wt loss ends and you are still way away from goal???
I have lost 60lbs and have been at this wt for 8months. I feel fine and am off 90% of
my medications so thats all good
So whats next????
Do I go back to Jenny Craig?     Not enough protein
Back to shakes only?      My nut does not like that
My surgeon is baffled, support group is baffled, nut is baffled
I AM DEPRESSED
I need to lose another 60lbs  Help please

Meg_S
on 6/29/11 10:52 am - Natick, MA
What does your exercise routine look like? I think you'll need to ramp it up and probably change it up a bit too. Do you do weight training and cardio on alternate days? Have you tried a personal trainer? How many grams of protein are you getting per day? How about some Isopure or Protein Blitz protein waters to up both your protein and fluid intake? Sorry for only responding with questions but I think we need more info in order to help.

Highest weight = 272, surgery weight = 240, goal weight = 135   

Aberdare
on 6/29/11 10:59 am - Bellevue, WA
Yes to exercise and trainer. Protein is around 50gms/day per dr. recommendation. Have not tried Isopure but still do at least one shaks a day

Meg_S
on 6/29/11 8:43 pm - Natick, MA
I agree with the other posters, you need to up your fluid and protein intake. I aim for about 100 grams per day and I think that really helps. I think that maybe your body thinks it's in starvation mode and is holding on to every calorie because your protein (and most likely calories) are way too low, especially if you're exercising 5-6 times per week. That is great, by the way. The only suggestion here is to maybe do some different cardio machines or use free weights instead of the machines to switch it up a bit and try to get the scale moving again.

Highest weight = 272, surgery weight = 240, goal weight = 135   

kerry D.
on 6/29/11 12:04 pm - Cambridge, MA
Up fluids and protein. 

Elizabeth N.
on 6/29/11 12:21 pm - Burlington County, NJ
More fluids, more protein, fewer carbs, more movement. Oh, and get your labs done to see how your nutritional status is doing. Taking insufficient micronutrients can slow you down, too.

However, now I'm going to say something you don't want to hear: A successful WLS is defined as losing 50% of your excess weight. You are a success. This might be as far as it goes. It does happen this way sometimes. No, you do not go back to the same diets that never worked before. You eat to nourish yourself and you add in physical activity that you love. You devote yourself to HEALTH rather than to skinniness.

Amy R.
on 6/29/11 1:22 pm

Like, Like, LIKE, Elizabeth!

Sometimes we have to focus -hard- on how  much healthier we are and how much better we feel and let go of the number.

Aberdare
on 6/29/11 2:05 pm - Bellevue, WA
Thanks for all your ideas.  I can increase water and protein but increasing exercise will be hard. I work and presently go to the gym 5=6 times a week and thats pushing it but at least I enjoy the exercise.  As for 50% of my excess wt thats why I need to lose more. I am not at 50% yet so I'm not ready to say I am healthy at this wt
I do have my labs checked every 3 months so thats OK
Thank you all again and any other ideas will be appreciated

Elizabeth N.
on 6/29/11 2:34 pm - Burlington County, NJ
In your first post you said you'd lost 60 pounds and have 60 to go. According to your ticker you had 95 pounds to lose, which would put you at 63% EWL. So where do you get the idea that you have not yet lost 50% of your excess weight.

Remember, there are health benefits to losing (and keeping off) even a very modest amount of weight, as little as 5-10% of your excess weight. PERISH THE THOUGHT that anyone should have surgery and only keep off that much--although it does happen. But the bottom line is that WLS is designed not to make fat people skinny, but to make very obese people less obese.

Getting to a normal weight or even looking skinny is a WONDERFUL thing, but it is not mandatory in order to be a spectacular health success. Getting hung up on scale numbers is a great wake to make yourself crazy.

Or let me say it another way: If you never lost another ounce, what's the worst thing that could happen? Can you imagine loving yourself at this weight?

Aberdare
on 7/3/11 7:58 am - Bellevue, WA
I think the confusion is between the Dr's goal and my goal.
The ticker was based on my first goal which was to get to a point where I was physically more comfortable. I started at 247lbs and reached 185lbsbut have been stuck for ages
The DR thinks I should be around 120-125lbs. I am only 5'1"
It's one thing to slow down but I stopped several months ago and thats why I am upset.
I am pleased with the health improvements and try to be patient with the scale but I am far from a healthy weight.
Thank you all so much for your support and ideas. It helps