Gastric Bypass & being a truck driver

sunshine1969
on 6/18/11 11:45 pm - LeMars, IA
Hey all, I looked for this topic and didn't see it. Sorry Vets if I missed it. I was just wondering if there are any long haul truck drivers that have had WL surgery and how you are working it in to your daily driving life.
Thanks for any input.

PS Weight 230.7, S Weight 225.0 

~ Carla ~

Lori P.
on 6/19/11 1:01 am - Kenosha, WI
I am not a truck driver...but I am a nurse and we frequently don't get break....I also don't have time to microwave a meal.   I have to preplan my food and vitamins and make sure that I have packed lots of things that can be eaten on the run (string cheese, pieces of chicken, and other finger foods).  It works as long as I plan my day.   

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

sunshine1969
on 6/19/11 4:11 am - LeMars, IA
Thanks Lori, It is very hard when you are so limited. I agree that as long as we plan ahead it works. Luckily we have both a fridge and microwave in the truck, so I am able to cook when we are home and prepackage some meals. Finger foods are such a great invention . I'm having a hard time working in exercise time at the moment. We have been running about 5000 miles a week. That doesn't leave a whole lot of time for stopping. 

~ Carla ~

neweyeswideopen
on 6/20/11 2:22 am - Cedar Rapids, IA
Woohoo a fellow Iowan! Are you doing all the driving? I noticed you said we..you could always take some free weights/resistance bands to do if you are passenger and when you stop make the best of it with walking/taking care of your truck and loads. It will take lots of planning, but I'm sure you will do great.
"To dream, I must imagine pure joy, belive I can achieve perfection, and take pride in a life changing journey" - ME

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/19/11 4:20 am
 I know there was a woman on the DS board who was a trucker, but I'm sorry I can't recall her name. You may want to ask on the DS board to get her attention. I think she'd have similar issues to RNY, like how long between bathrooms and such. I'm sure there are more around.
T. Deeds
on 6/20/11 1:01 am
I'm not a truck driver, but I know that lots of people who have the surgery use an insulated lunch box or cooler and bring food with them.  I personally don't leave the house without food I know that I can eat (it only took one time of being stuck somewhere where there was LITERALLY nothing I could eat for me to learn my lesson).  Could you get a big ice chest and pack it full of food you can eat and then every so many days stop at a grocery store along the way?   The good news is that since you will be eating so little after the surgery, an ice chest full of food should last a LONG time!  :)

Kim S.
on 6/20/11 1:19 am - Helena, AL
With a microwave and fridge, you'll be fine!  The exercise is the hard part....if you ever stop at hotels, most have exercise rooms and I guess you could do some walking at rest areas and such. 

WLS can fit any life--you just have to be committed to do the extra work to plan accordingly.  I wish you much health and success on your journey!

Kim

sunshine1969
on 6/20/11 9:51 pm - LeMars, IA
 Thanks everyone for your advise, I will continue to moniter this and look for more 

~ Carla ~

boopsy69
on 11/26/16 10:10 am
VSG on 04/29/16

i live in my truck sunday through fridays and I bring lots of pre cooked meals, like boiled eggs, salads, canned tuna,salmon,chicken and lowfat mayo, sardines. lots of salads with chicken breasts and eggs, good salad dressing made from greek yougurt and powder ranch mixed together works great(your getting your protien and its low fat so you can have alot of it) also works great for veggie dip. if you have a slow cooker in your truck, lots of good meals could be prepared while you drive. chicken,turkey bacon and ranch is awesome, roasts, chicken bbq nuggets are great. you could even try some fish like cod or halibut, but im sure it would stink up the rig pretty bad