X-Post/DS Forum-- Question about Greenfield Filter/IVC Filter

beth-28
on 5/13/11 10:17 am
My husband is starting to have nightmares about losing me during my DS surgery. My family is supportive, but worried because a few years age we had a friend die unexpectedly after surgery due to blood clots....stood up to get some water, and just fell over.

I am not worried (lol...how long that will last if my hubby continues to have nightmares...), but I am not stupid. I know there is always a risk with any surgery. But I also know that my diabetes can kill me, or I can get into a car accident, etc. To avoid these scenarios I take my diabetes meds, and wear my seatbelt...you know...precautions.

I had a heart cath at the request of the surgeon I consulted with about the RNY (before I knew about the DS). The results were that I had no evidence of heart disease...good for me. Other than the diabetes (type 2) and being overweight, I am healthy. But my mother has had pulmonary embolisms (just out of the blue...but she is diabetic and overweight too) twice in the last 3-4 years. She is on cumidan now.

Now to my questions...

1) Even though I have had no problems with PE's, should I ask if the doctor(either DS surgeon or cardiologist) would insert a Greenfield Filter as a precaution (and to ease my hubby and family's minds....and maybe mine to a lesser extent)?

2) Has anyone here who has had the Greenfield Filter placed before surgery had it done at their request...not necessarily by the dr's recommendation?  

Thanks,
beth
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Jewel_in_hiding
on 5/13/11 11:22 am - Raleigh, NC
You definately should talk to your surgeon about your concerns.  I had an IVC filter put in due to my mother's medical history of clots.  I had no personal history and tested negative on the test to see if I had the genetic predisposition to her clotting problem.  However, my surgeon wanted to be cautious and also kept me on blood thinners longer. 
Top is my progress, Bottom is to Surgeon's Goal

swjourney
on 5/13/11 12:18 pm
I have a history of blood clots. I am having the filter put in the day before my surgery. Two weeks after surgery I can have it removed or leave it in place. I think for the peace of mind, it is worth the extra procedure. Good luck
Sharyn S.
on 5/13/11 12:17 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
I'm a nurse and typical post surgical protocol (especially abdominal and orthopedic) calls for Lovenox or heparin injections.  These medications are blood thinners that prevent blood clots.  Talk to your surgeon about this.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

beth-28
on 5/13/11 1:08 pm
I've read that about the shots.  But how long does that medication last, and long is a person at risk for DVT/PE after/due to surgery?
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Sharyn S.
on 5/13/11 1:42 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
Once you start being more mobile, your risk will decrease.  You will probably get an injection once, daily, while you are in the hospital.  Some patients go home and have to inject themselves for a time.  If that is the case, your nurse will teach you how to do it.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

Hislady
on 5/14/11 7:34 am - Vancouver, WA
I had both the filter and the shots because I have a clotting disorder and a very cautious surgeon. Had the filter put in a few days before surgery and removed about a month after. It was really an easy procedure, I would def ask your surgeon about it if it will ease your (or his) mind.
sfmini
on 5/14/11 8:33 am
I also have a clotting disorder (low platelets) and my surgeon mandated a filter and the lovenox shots. He just posted this video on his blog, worth watching, the filter saved this patient's life:
http://bariatricsurgeryblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/blood-clot- prevention-before-bariatric.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_m edium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DrMyersBariatricSurgery+%28 Bariatric+Surgery+Blog%29

Most Active