should i get a will?

stephanie H.
on 8/3/04 7:45 am - pittsfield, MA
my hubby told me i should get a will before i have the surgery. It kind of threw me for a loop. He hasn't been supportive through this at all now he wants this. has anyone gotten one? please help god bless and take care stephy
footprints.2.tammy
on 8/3/04 7:48 am - Hesperia, CA
Hi stephanie I have had a family trust for years. It includes a will. I have it for my sons, so they are protected. It is a great idea because it protects your family. You do not have to put your hubby in it! Just kidding. Tammy
Denise K.
on 8/3/04 7:59 am - Muskegon, MI
I work in estate settlement, so to me it just seems natural for people to have a will, whether they're planning surgery or not. Any of us could get hit by a truck at any time. Having a will doesn't mean you're planning to die; it just means you're prepared if you do. And we'll all die someday, so why not get the will taken care of now instead of later? Then it'll be all done. So, Stephy, what the heck. Just get a will, and leave that cranky hubby out of it if you want to! (Just kidding.) Leave your stuff to anyone you want to. At least in a will, you can say you want your sister to have Grandma's silver tea set, etc., instead of people trying to guess who you would have wanted to have what. Just my humble opinion. Denise
Dianne A.
on 8/3/04 8:03 am - Apple Valley, CA
Hi Stephanie, you should ALWAYS have a will. It is the only way to insure that things are taken care of the way you would like them. My husband and I have had a will since we could afford to have one done. At the time we had our Will done we also had are DNRs done. I took one to be put in my file the day before my surgery. I did not want to have my husband have to face making a decision like that if something went wrong. I went into surgery knowing everything was taken care of the best I could. It gave me a certain amount of peace. Not a happy task to take care of but I feel a very necessary one. Good luck with your surgery and weight loss.... God Bless Diane
Dx E
on 8/3/04 8:11 am - Northern, MS
Yes, I would recommend it. Just in case, your family will be protected. Have Hubby make one out at the same time. That away it's not a scary thing but rather just something you two are doing to prepare the future for your family. Like getting life and house insurance. Dx
ek
on 8/3/04 8:19 am - englewood cliffs, NJ
I had my before WLS. It is under my kids name.
Pooh
on 8/3/04 8:56 am - Concord, NH
I am planning on doing my will & Advance Directives before I have surgery. That way you protect your family regarding any finances. Advance Directives should always be in place before you are hospitalized. It provides for someone to make health decisions for you if you are unable. If you don't have them in place it puts Dr's & your family in a bad situation. It doesn't mean they will be used but the MD & hospital will have your wishes in writing so there are no quesetions what you would want done- life support, artifical nutrition etc. Sounds scary but prevents family struggles. Your local hospital may have forms that help you do these things. Good luck. Pat
Cyndi M.
on 8/3/04 9:11 am - KY
I am going to start working on my will tommrow, being a legal secretary i get to do my own.......... wooohooooooooo..........
CarolynInHuntsville
on 8/3/04 10:56 am - Alabama, AL
Time for my famous plug here.... While I wish that everyone has a safe, successful and umcomplicated surgery, the fact of the matter is that not all cases are safe, successful and uncomplicated. It it the reality of life and death. Please take a moment to consider your thoughts about organ donation and make those wishes known to your family. This is a subject that far too many people fail to discuss...not just when planning for WLS, but in our everyday lives. When the time comes and your family is asked to make a decision on organ donation, it is so much easier if they know that you have expressed specific wishes in this area. Again, I am from Alabama so the same laws MAY not apply in all States, but in Alabama, your legal next of kin must give consent for organ donation in the event of your death. It does you no good to have it on your driver's license or in your living will....it has to be approved by your next of kin. The organ banks realize that organ donation is a touchy subject with some people and they are not willing to risk the negative publicity and hard feelings that would result if they took organs against the wishes of a family, even if the expired has expressed their desire to be a donor. So, please realize that there are people out there who are waiting on donor organs in a hope of saving their life, and those organs do the deceased no good in the grave...so please search your hearts and decide if you would like to give the gift of life in the event of your death. When you have reached the decision, make sure that your legal next of kin is aware of your wishes. The recipient family and patient will be forever greatful to you for your choice and to your family for following through with your wishes.
Most Active