Low Potassium???

Tamarah T.
on 8/3/04 6:54 am - Arvada, CO
Hello. I am about five weeks out and twice, I have had low levels of potassium, requiring ER visits for IVs/potassium. I am now on 2 potassium tablets per day. Has anyone else had this happen? Is this caused by the malabsorption? Otherwise, things are going great and I am SO glad to be a loser!!!! 359/312/160
kitty1000
on 8/3/04 7:02 am - BOONVILLE, IN
have you done any dumping?? i know that will cause drop in potassium--brenda
Tamarah T.
on 8/3/04 7:13 am - Arvada, CO
Thanks for responding. No, I have not dumped at all! I have done well with my fluids, etc., not on diuretics, and just eating my pureed foods and doing well. So, guess I'll keep on the supplements and hope it straightens out...
Pooh
on 8/3/04 7:02 am - Concord, NH
Probably due to dehydration & not enough potassium intake. You need potassium to keep the body functioning properly. Good luck.
Tamarah T.
on 8/3/04 7:15 am - Arvada, CO
Thanks! I have been well-hydrated - keep up fluid intake to about 80 oz. per day. Good luck to you, too!
Dx E
on 8/3/04 7:06 am - Northern, MS
Tamarah, No low potassium. In my case it has been low Calcium and Iron. Once I started taking the supplements, my "blood-work" has been fine. Hope yours levels out soon. Best wishes- Dx
Tamarah T.
on 8/3/04 7:16 am - Arvada, CO
I will start those supplements next week. Glad you're doing well. Take care!!
Amy L.
on 8/3/04 7:06 am - Delaware, OH
I had the same thing happen to me. I don't know why it happened though. If you find out let me know! Amy
Tamarah T.
on 8/3/04 7:17 am - Arvada, CO
Hi, Amy, I'll let you know if I find out anything new! I'm doing all that I'm supposed to be doing, so, hopefully, it will level out. Thanks! Tami
RichardWash
on 8/3/04 7:07 am
- Potassium is an electrolyte found primarily inside cells. Its role is to maintain water balance inside the cells and help in the transmission of nerve impulses. Low or high levels in the blood are of critical significance. Low levels may be found in patients taking water pills or in patients not receiving enough potassium. A low potassium level can cause muscle weakness and heart problems. A high potassium level can be found in kidney disease or in overuse of potassium supplements. Some "salt" substitutes contain potassium instead of sodium. Excessive use of these substitutes can cause dangerously high levels of potassium in the blood. Any value outside the specified reference range, high or low, requires medical evaluation. This is especially important if you are taking diuretic or heart medication.
Most Active