We must KNOW the Answer!

Dx E
on 8/2/04 10:15 am, edited 7/16/08 10:29 am - Northern, MS

This info moved to QuixoticWLS

AntiqueAngel
on 8/2/04 10:22 am - Columbia, TN
I have wondered that and came up with the conclusion that some doctors do not specialize in bariatric surgery. That is the ONLY thing I can think of.
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/04 10:37 am - woodstock, MD
First, the don't call it "practicing" medicine for nothing. Second, not everyone was created "equal". I wasn't told to diet before the surgery because I was in pretty good physical condition already, maybe some of the people you spoke to needed to get healthy to withstand such an evasive surgery. Third.....they all agree on one thing, you should be eating healthier, getting enough protein, exercising and not smoking or drinking alcohol or high sugar/soda drinks. Oh, and TAKE YOUR VITAMINS, lol. With that said, when I looked for a doctor (I chose the third one I saw) I wanted someone who had done at least 1,000 + surgeries (I didn't want to be some doctors practice toy). With his experience I've seen what happens to people who don't follow the above advice and it isn't pretty.
Dx E
on 8/2/04 11:07 am - Northern, MS
Yes, I agree Kristina, But how do we account for the discrepancies? There was a post here not 30 minutes ago from a patient who name dropped Dr. Fobi, who was told to have diet sprite right off the bat. How can that be? There are others who's surgeons have done 1000's+ with super high success rates, that move to solid foods in the first week. In fact there was a post (day before yesterday I believe) from a patient of "the most respected bariatric surgeon in Arkansas," that insisted that ALL OF his patients be on solid foods prior to leaving the hospital at day 4. Not Just those who were "in pretty good physical condition already," but ALL. How could this be possible? Clearly we are all getting different advice and it is not always based on the fact that we are all different. Surely there must be some reason that there is not more standardized information than Vitamins. I think if everyone asks their individual physician why the extreme differences, we, as a group can get some clearer answers to this RELATIVELY new procedure. Dx
HAPPYGAL H.
on 8/2/04 12:32 pm - KY
WELL I THINK SOME DR'S ARE STILL LEARNING ABOUT THE DIET PART..FOR INSTANCE MY DR HAD ME ON LIQUIDS FOR 4 WEEKS AND PUREE 4 WEEKS ETC.. WELL I WENT TO A WEIGHT LOSS MEETING MY 2 WEEK POST OP AND THEY HAD ALREADY CHANGED EACH TO 3 WEEKS.. THEY SAID THEY ARE LEARNING MORE EACH DAY ABOUT THIS..SO I GUESS THAT MIGHT BE IT..51/2 WEEKS POST OP AND DOWN 34 LBS. VICKI VICKI
Most Active