Why do RNY?

victor R.
on 8/2/04 7:58 am - ch, CA
I was wanting to do the RNY but after reading some articles about RNY people who are having a band placed around their stomach to control their appetite this makes me want the lap band. Has anyone had this done after RNY? I still want to feel "full" 2 years after my WLS and I don't want to have a band done after RNY when I could have had the band done in the first place. Any help is appreciated
mrsmyranow
on 8/2/04 8:03 am - Pasadena, CA
Well without getting into the whole debate, far more people have to get an RNY after getting banded than the other way around.
RDowden
on 8/2/04 8:04 am - Demopolis, AL
I have never heard of someone having weight loss surgery (RNY) and then going in to have a band done. The band has to be "adjusted" every once in a while and the RNY takes care of everything at once. So, I am sorry - just don't understand your question -
mypookface
on 8/2/04 8:06 am - Bethany, LA
Victor- I don't know if you can have a LapBand AFTER an RNY, I have never heard of that, but I know you can have the RNY after the Lapband. Sounds like you need to do some research on both procedures before making a final decision. There is a LapBand message board on this web site, that might help you too. Good luck to you. Hettie
KathieInHawaii
on 8/2/04 8:09 am - Ewa Beach, HI
Victor, Trust me!! At 2 years out you will feel FULL FULL FULL as in Thanksgiving kind of full. Will you be able to eat more than 2 oz of food? Yep! But will you be able to eat more than a 4 year old toddler? DOUBT IT! I will be exactly 2 years out a week from today. I am still eating a very small amount of food. I eat normally yet my pouch space is still restricted. Keep in mind that whether you go Lap Band or RNY, they are both simply TOOLS. The only way to ensure that this is a "forever" sort of thing is through behavior modification (not perfection!!!), and exercise. The goal is to eat healthy. Not a lifetime of starvation. Do your research on all the different techniques available and select one that suits you best. Keep in mind that the tool is only to assist you with the first 50-70% of your weight loss. The rest is totally on you. And long term maintenance has all to do with what you learn along the way.. not the total size of your pouch (which still remains small but large enough to prevent starvation). Good luck! Hugs, Kathie in Hawaii..
Dx E
on 8/2/04 8:09 am - Northern, MS
Statistically, the RNY is more successful due to the mal-absorption coupled with the restriction of available stomach space. The Lap Band does introduce a foreign substance into your body where as the RNY is far more invasive. The RNY is considered "the Gold Standard," to quote the RNY company line. I originally was seeking a Vertical Banded Gastroplasty, but ended up going with the RNY after extensive research. I think it is a very personal decision- Dx
Shelley.
on 8/2/04 8:13 am - OH
There is a little known "complication" that can happen following an RNY. Sometimes the stoma is made or becomes too wide, thus letting food flow directly into the small intestine. Therefore the patient never has a full feeling. There used to be nothing that surgeons would do for this. Recently, some surgeons have begun using the band around the pouch (in the area of the stoma?) to allow for some restriction. Maybe this is what you have been reading about. It is definitely NOT common to have a band after an RNY. It is usually the other way around. Good luck! Shelley A member whose profile may be worth reading is Helen Collins. She had this performed and is doing well.
victor R.
on 8/2/04 8:15 am - ch, CA
From what I read it didn't sound like a lap band it was more like a band. I'll have to find the site and read it more clearer. Thanks a bunch
MsBatt
on 8/2/04 9:25 am
There's a form of RNY called the Fobi Pouch, where a silastic band is placed around the stoma at the time of surgery. This is supposed to make stoma failure impossible. You might also want to research the DS. In the DS, the stomach is made smaller, but it's still a fully-functional stomach, complete with the pyloric sphincter, the stomach's natural emptying port. This also makes a stoma failure impossible, since there is no stoma. This also means there are no marginal ulcers or strictures, and you can still drink with meals, since the pylorus isn't going to let anything pass out of the stomach before it's time. Check out the DS forum right here at OH.
Misty S.
on 8/2/04 8:15 am - Helena, MT
When I first decided to have the surgery I looked at the different types. For me RNY was the choice for me. I personally want the negative reinforcement that comes with RNY when you eat something your not suposed to. I know that the first time I feel sick from something I will never want to eat it again. The same thing happens to me now, pre-op. It deffinetly is s personal choice that only you can make.
Most Active