HELP! Swallowed Gum

Jodie R.
on 8/2/04 4:33 am - Williamston, NC
Hi everybody, About 15 minutes ago I swallowed a piece of gum. I know it sounds goofy, but I tripped and swallowed it. I feel ok, but I'm a little nervous about it. Has anyone else done this? Jodie
Dx E
on 8/2/04 4:37 am - Northern, MS
If it was a small piece it may be no problem. Try drinking a little hot liquid, coffee, tea or broth. This often helps it slide on through out of your pouch. Hope no problems- Dx
Jodie R.
on 8/2/04 4:40 am - Williamston, NC
Thanks for your reply. It was so weird... like I couldn't stop it. It was just a little piece of sugarless trident. Jodie
Ted D.
on 8/2/04 4:43 am - Chicago, IL
I heard it takes 7 years to digest. I don't know about WLS patients though. I hope it passes!
Dx E
on 8/2/04 4:51 am - Northern, MS
The 7 years to digest is an "old wives tale." If it doesn't block the stoma out of your pouch, it will pass on through. It never really digests, but it will pass on. Dx
kismets_dawn
on 8/2/04 5:21 am - Anderson, IN
Hey Jodie, I can't walk and chew gum at the same time either so don't feel bad. I swallowed gum a few years back and it got pretty stuck and I was so worried I called the doctor. He told me to drink some hot tea and take some Metamucil because it not only clogs up your throat but other areas as well. He went on to tell me about a story of a little girl that kept swallowing her gum instead of spitting it out and he had to pull a huge glob out of her bum because she was so backed up. Needless to say I didn't want his fingers any where near my bum so I ran out and got some Metamucil and all was well. Good luck girlie.
jilliecats
on 8/2/04 5:49 am
I did that too, and it was all o.k. I just wanted to tell you I just looked at your before pic and the most recent one and you look so good!!!! I bet you must really feel good too! Jill
Most Active