Protein delimma

vhall99
on 8/2/04 4:00 am - Conyers, GA
Okay My AMOS family. I am having Protein Issues. I am 3 weeks post op and cannot find a protein drink I can tolerate. My question is this. Are the Protein bars okay to have to replace the protein drinks. I found a bar that has 23g of protein and 0sugar. Please help! Valerie
Pat Bell
on 8/2/04 4:04 am - Southeast, GA
You need to ask your surgeon or nutritionist that question. Every surgeon seems to have a different opinion. Have you tried the protein drinks from Susan Marie's site? I never tried them but I hear a lot of people say they are good. I only had to do protein drinks for six weeks so I drank it like medicine since that's how it tasted. Something I had to endure for six weeks. Best of luck on your wls journey.
Aunty Emme
on 8/2/04 4:06 am - Lower piedmont, NC
You'll probably find that the protein bar is too heavy this early on. I'm 8 weeks out on Wednesday, and I'm just now able to eat them (my favorite is the Odyssey Caramel Nut). Have you tried getting samples from the bariatriceating or vitalady websites? I've recently tried fuzzy navel and caribbean cooler (its what I'm drinking right now), and just love them. Melissa lap RNY 6/9/04 -50-55lbs
Curious G.
on 8/2/04 4:08 am - Peachtree City, GA
I'm a new postie. I ordered some Unjury unflavored protien powder a while back and it has been a GODSEND. I can mix it with warm broth, jello, pudding etc.... no flavor at all - I can't even tell it's there! hth, Michelle
slimsloany
on 8/2/04 4:14 am - Columbus, OH
Valerie, Go to GNC and get some AnyWhey tasteless protein powder. Mix it with your yogurt, pudding, cream of wheat, soups, etc. This will augment your protein intake and you can't taste it. I am a year out and I still use it. I get in between 65-75 gm of protein daily. Start good protein habits now. Get used to the drinks. I love the ProPlete Gold powders from bariatriceating.com. Banana Cream with SF coconut syrup.............a pina colada! Mixed Berry with skim milk................a fruity milkshake! Vanilla Pineapple..............delish. I also buy MinuteMaid Light Mango tropical (not carbonated and only 10 calories) and I dump in a scoop of Fruity Whey or Nectar powder and it is cool and refreshing and tastes yummy good. Keep trying. You are new at this and it takes some trial and error and practice. Soon, you will be the expert tellling a new postie how to do this. Suzie
Dx E
on 8/2/04 4:15 am - Northern, MS
Valerie, The Unjury protein powder is great and can be added to anything. I was on PROMOTE. You can get it from the Pharmacy, but they may have to order it. It's a FULL NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENT; 18.5 grams of protein in each 8oz can, along with all of the vitamins and micronutrients needed to keep you going. It's what they poured into my feeding tube at the hospital. I use the Vanilla. It's smooth and doesn't have that chalky taste. It's what they give Chemo patients who can't keep anything else down. Hope you find one for you- Dx
Jeanette R.
on 8/2/04 4:20 am - Northern, IL
I stick to Unjury protein powder (found at unjury.com). Each scoop has 20g of protein. The unflavored is just that. I don't taste it at all even if I don't get it all mixed in right (it tends to clump in cold liquids). I don't like using the blender to mix it because I add it to Carb Countdown Chocolate Milk (12g of protein per 8oz) and it tends to get really foamy if I do that (even on the lowest setting) and it takes forever and a day for the foam to go down. This morning since I ran out of the unflavored yesterday, I added the chocolate to the Carb Countdown and it too was VERY good. I, again didn't get all of it mixed in right (it's just a me thing) and when a clump came in my mouth when I broke it up it tasted like Nestle Quick powder so I didn't mind at all. I also like the Strive Protein Bars that Susan Maria advertises on her web site but I get them locally since they tend to melt in shipping in the summer (plus they are cheaper at the store I get them from and no shipping charges). My favorite is Chocolate Peanut Butter, but I've laid off them for a while as I burned myself out on them when I first found that I liked them.
star .
on 8/2/04 4:30 am - OK
Cant help on bars vs drinks.. if your surgeon has you on liquids bars wouldnt do. BUT to help in the protein and taste area; go to walmart and buy carbo countdown - its in themilk section. one cup = 12 grams of protein; tastes like regular milk... (They have chocolate but I dont like/use the choclate) I use the regular or 2% ... I enjoy mine heated with a little equal.
redzz04
on 8/2/04 5:28 am
I would ask the doc. But remember that we do not absorb like we use to. We only absorb a little bit of the nutrients we eat. So liquid would most likely be much better. Have you tried Isopure drinks? you can buy them in a bottle at a vitamin shoppe or some place like that. They come in blue rasberry, orange, punch, grape, banana, apple/melon. they are like a juice type drink. They are light and do not taste so bad. I couldnt tolerate the creamy stuff or the powder that early out. Give that a try if you can find them They were a Godsend to me. Best wishes to you! Elizabeth M
Most Active