Poll question...FOOD NETWORK

capnkman
on 8/2/04 3:04 am - Half past the monkey's butt..., WI
Hi all. K-Man here. My wife and I were watching the Food Network last night and she turned to me and said...jokingly of course, "you have a disease". I said "ya, I know". Then she said she was having trouble understanding why, after surgery, I would torture myself with watching the Food Network. I love watching shows like unwrapped, which is what we were watching because I love to see how things are made and the history of different products. Ya, I look at some of that stuff and it does make me long for the "good old days" but I would never want to go back to them. So my question to you all is this (this question pertains mostly to post ops, but anyone can answer)...Do you find yourself watching the Food Network more now as a post op than pre op, why, and what is your favorite program? My favorite program is Unwrapped, I watch it much more than I ever did, and I really do watch it because I like to see how things are made. Take care and be good to yourselves...K-man I may not reply for a while or maybe tomorrow. I am off to work very soon and won't be home until tomorrow morning.
Mama Bear
on 8/2/04 3:09 am - Dallas Area, TX
I watch the Food Network a lot and go to their website often for recipes. I watch "Unwrapped" too, but I like the show called "Good Eats" the best. The host is quirky and funny. I like eccentricity! Regina
JudithC
on 8/2/04 3:14 am - Southern, NH
I love the Food Network - my daughter is training to be a pastry chef and I suspect she'll be on there one day. My other absurd hobby is reading cookbooks...yes, you read that right, cookbooks. It doesn't bother me and I get some great ideas. As far as I'm concerned, food is fuel for your body and should not be mistaken for poison. There's a sickness in that, too. I didn't want to trade one for the other. Judith
MD
on 8/2/04 3:14 am
Funny you should mention this, I have also developed more of a love for the Food Network after surgery. I love Unwrapped also, but my favorites are 30 Minute Meals and Paula's Home Cookin'. I did watch pre-op, but I do have to admit that I'm watching more now that I'm post op and it doesn't even bother me... Maybe it's because we can look at food for what it is now instead of an obsession JMHO Anyway, great topic, fellow Food Network groupie Take care... Melanie Lap RNY 7/15/03 down 135 13 to go
heather_y
on 8/2/04 3:14 am - Goldsboro, NC
I LOVE Foodnetwork !!!!!!!!!!! In fact, I just came from that site before checking in here !!!! I started watching it about a month pre op.....and have continued watching it daily !!! I am only 3 weeks post op and still can't eat anything (clear liquids only for 4 weeks), but I LOVE to watch 30 Minute Meals, $40 a day, Unwrapped, and just about any show on Food network !!!!! I can't wait to actually try some of the recipes !!!!
MccGator
on 8/2/04 3:16 am - Northern, IL
When I was newly post op I watched it ALL the time, trying to make myself hungry... I had to force myself to eat. Plus I have always loved to cook. Now I watch it and try to change the things they make into low fat meals. my favorite is also "Good Eats" with Alton Brown. he cracks me up.. Don P.S. Good post!
Lisa W.
on 8/2/04 3:49 am - Norfolk, NY
Wow Don you look great!!! Keep up the good work. Lisa
ConnienTX
on 8/2/04 3:17 am - Dallas area, TX
I can relate, K-man. I have always loved the Food Network. Now I tend to be more selective about what I watch on it, if It's just sugary desserts on I change the channel. But I like to see better ways to cook protein foods. I also like the $40 a day show because I love to travel. I like unwrapped too for the same reason you do. And I also like Good Eats, Alton Brown is awesome. Connie -127#
RHONDA FROM KY
on 8/2/04 3:22 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Hi K-Man... Great Poll!!! I never, never watched the Food Channel pre-op. Right after my surgery.. say.... the 1st month, I watched it ALOT. I watched whatever was on but I guess my fav was Emeril. But.. I'm glad to say that I was able to pull myself out of that phase. I haven'****ched it for a long time. I debate once in a while but figure why torture myself. I even came close the other day, to buying a set of books - 12 Volume Woman's Day Encyclopedia of receipes. I had to make myself put them back! But I did buy the International Weigh****chers Book of Receipes. I just enjoy still looking at everything!!!
Shay F.
on 8/2/04 3:26 am - Tampa, FL
Love the food network. my kids and i watch emeril live everynight before bed. I just printed of about 6 dinner ideas from his web page. I never use to watch the food network. now i watch it all the time. all the shows too. $40 a day, 30 min meals with rachel ray, unwrapped, all of them. It does not bother me in the least that i can not partate of the deserts or anything. While i was recovering in December from having the wls that was about the only channel i watched. So i too am demented(sp) Have a great day shay
Most Active