Poll:Who does strength training (weight training)?

Gail S.
on 7/31/04 12:24 pm - McFarland, WI
Hi everyone, I started strength training as soon as my surgeon said it was okay - after 6 weeks. I've done a lot of research - esp. on the type of training I do, which is Super Slow Motion strength training - also known as Power of Ten. Adding muscle is so important for everyone, but especially for WLS patients. We're losing so fast, we're bound to lose muscle unless we work to add it. Did you know that just 3 extra pounds of lean muscle mass burns 10,000 extra calories a month. I feel stronger than I ever have and have lots of energy. I've had no stalls in my weight loss - it's been steady all along. How many of you have also discovered this wonderful way to boost your metabolism so you can continue losing and maintain to weight loss when you reach goal. We need to spread the word. Gail -78
Dx E
on 7/31/04 12:34 pm - Northern, MS
Amen Gail! Tell it. The exercise gives me so much energy. I do Very light weights 2.5 to 5lbs with multiple repetitions. I also added the ankle weights to my walking. I also have Iso-bands for building and toning my back and shoulders. I've added a little bit each week. I'm an 11month post-op 6'1"tall, down from 370lbs. 08/22/03 to 213lbs. as of today 07/31/04, and still loosing. My goal is 185lbs. The exercise makes all the difference. Dx
Gail S.
on 7/31/04 12:38 pm - McFarland, WI
Fantastic Dex! You are a perfect example of the effectiveness of weight training. Your results are great - and you're so close to your goal. Keep it up!
thriftgirl
on 7/31/04 12:45 pm - Nashville, TN
Cool! Hey everyone...there's a BODYBUILDING AND WEIGHTLIFTING messageboard on here with not only some very fun cool folks, but also a Powerlifting record-holding WLS hubby/wife team! Come visit us! (click on communities to find it)
Gail S.
on 7/31/04 12:47 pm - McFarland, WI
Thank you Annie - I will definitely check it out!
sk
on 7/31/04 12:45 pm - Wonderwhere
Yeah! I posted on this last week. I had a bad start due to numerous complications. I lost lots of muscle and tone, but intend to gain it all back! My doctor stresses strength training. I saw the Power of 10 on television (48 hours) where they had identical twins do a test. One did 20 mins of strength training a week and the other did aerobic activities for hours a week. The 20 mins gal lost 15lbs while the other only lost 5! Amazing. Plus, who wouldn't rather be muscle? Keep it up! S K 12/24/03 250/230/163/115
Gail S.
on 7/31/04 12:52 pm - McFarland, WI
That's it! That's the training I'm doing and finding so incredible. That's great that your surgeon stresses strength training. Mine suggests it but doesn't stress it. It would be great if all the surgoens stressed the benefits. Good luck on building your muscles back up - it makes such a difference!
RichardWash
on 7/31/04 1:06 pm
- I been doing HIIT Cardio, and Strength training since 1 month post op, right now My endurance is Very high and the pounds are really melting off, My physique has gotten MUCH MUCH BETTER... I am loving every moment of this new life!
Gail S.
on 7/31/04 1:14 pm - McFarland, WI
You sound like you're doing fantastic Richard - congratulations! I**** the High Intensity training - v. slow movements with fewer reps? I'm still learning all the different types of strength training out there. The kind I do is also v. slow movements with only 6-8 reps, but you take the muscle to complete fatigue.
RichardWash
on 7/31/04 1:21 pm
- HIIT is High intensity interval training, basically on the recumbent bike you do warm up of 4 minutes, then you put it to the limit you can do.. like physically can do and go as fast as you can accelrating your heart beat and putting massive force behind your legs, then you cool down about 45 seconds or a minute of the High intensity back to low intensity and rest up your muscles for about a minute, then BAM again to limit and repeat ... it is a very powerful form of cardio.. my calf and leg muscles are like RAWRRR now lol.
Most Active