Mandated Pre-Op Weight Loss: ASMBS SAYS NO!

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/11 12:59 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
It shouldn't"t be mandated,
However good for you for being able to stick to your two week liquid diet. It shows that you can accomplish anything. Unfortunately, you are going to have a really tough time healing from your surgery because your body will be starved by the time you hit the O.R. table.
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/11 12:49 am - San Jose, CA
Another thing I find particularly obnoxious: the attitude of people who have suffered through these cruel and pointless requirements when THEY had the surgery finding it perfectly OK for others to be subjected to the same thing and not standing up for what is right - just because they went through it.  It's like fraternities where hazing is practiced - nobody who is undergoing it thinks it is a good idea or necessary, but by g-d when THEY do and are accepted into the frat, they go right along with doing it to others.  SICK SICK SICK!!!
alapaula
on 3/28/11 1:09 am - Antioch, CA
When I asked the RN in charge of our bariactric unit, she told me it was an inhumane practice and I was releived to hear her tell me that.  All they required was documentation of 6 months of being weighed at the doctor which I had already done before even starting my journey.  (not planned, it just happened that way)  I also have a close friend who was required to lose the 10%, lost it and kept losing to where she no longer qualified and was denied.  Now she is back up to the old weight and is trying to change insurances to avoid having to go through that again.  Thank you so much for posting, I will forward her this info.

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/11 1:18 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
What information do you have about Kaiser-SoCal ?

I want to know everything about their requirements before we get there.
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/11 3:04 am - San Jose, CA
Their requirements change constantly. You need to contact the bariatric program and ask them for the current requirements.
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/11 5:09 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Sue already called them for me....
bethynee
on 3/28/11 10:16 am
ahhh finally! people who see how cruel this is..if i wasn't so close, I'd do something about it..but I can't wait anymore!

i'm on Medifast, have been on and off since November, due to delays, and originally it was 4 shakes and a "Lean and Green" which was  tolerable, but due to not losing the 40!! lbs fast enough, I am now 5 shakes and no food. It's driving my family nuts. My mom is especially upset, how can I be expected to function without food...these shakes have like 70 cal each. I can't even chew gum!! 

Thanks for reading my rant..I'm post-shake annoyed.
check out my blog: http://bethynee.blogspot.com/  

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/11 10:24 am - San Jose, CA
Personally, I'd be rethinking my choice of surgeon - and surgery - if I were you.

But good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Elizabeth N.
on 3/28/11 11:49 am - Burlington County, NJ
Me, too.
MacMadame
on 3/28/11 1:50 pm - Northern, CA
Yeah, I'd rethink the choice of surgeon too. In fact, I did.

Now I wasn't that concerned about any pre-op dieting requirement because I'm a great dieter so I knew I could do it whatever it was. But I also knew it was a ridiculous requirement so I looked for programs that understood that. I figured if a program didn't seem to be keeping up with the latest research and was promoting practices that had no clinical value, what else would they be telling me to do that was worthless and/or counter-productive?

Which is but one of the reasons I didn't get cut open by Dr. Pamela Foster... a prime example of a fatty hatter IMO.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active