Shellfish anyone

Crysti D.
on 7/31/04 2:24 am - Moore, OK
I'm in the process of trying to get together soft proteins I can eat after surgery and my docs list of meats is fish, poultry and pork. Can I justify shrimp or crab or lobster in with the fish? I've never been a big fish eater and can barely stomach tuna unless it is disguised in a lot of other stuff. There is no mention of shellfish or mollusks (clams, oysters) anywhere on my docs list - good side or bad side.
brinkman_d
on 7/31/04 2:31 am - Chandler, AZ
Crysti, It is true that your tastes change post op. I was not a big fish fan, and now I love it. I've always loved shellfish, and shrimp is still OK, and crab is GREAT, but lobster no longer agrees with me. Rethink the oyster thing because you will have to CHEW them. Good luck!
Crysti D.
on 7/31/04 2:33 am - Moore, OK
The thought of chewing oyster activated my gag reflex expescially since i can't have them fried post-op. Will be interesting to see what the new pouch will like.
brinkman_d
on 7/31/04 2:40 am - Chandler, AZ
You made me laugh!
mypookface
on 7/31/04 2:34 am - Bethany, LA
My doctor gave me the okay to eat shell fish except clams & oysters (they are too chewy) at 8 weeks out, but I can't handle any shellfish right now. Before surgery, I was a great lover of shellfish and any kind of fish. I also loved tuna sandwiches. It all makes me nauseated just chewing it. Some one said that I should try talipia (not sure of the spelling) I did see that in the store, and I will try it soon. Good luck Crysti Hettie
Crysti D.
on 7/31/04 2:40 am - Moore, OK
Tilapia is one of the few fishys that i do like. I put it in a foil bag on the grill with about a tablespoon of butter for each fillet and 1 quartered lemon per fillet. Toss it on low to medium coals and let it slow simmer in the butter and lemon juice comes out very flaky and full of flavor that isn't fishy. My daughter HATES fish but she will eat this. I'm hoping that i can recreate it in the house using the same foil bags. We served it with veggies in a foil bag - portabello mushrroms, yellow squash, a few mashed garlic cloves, vidalia onions and butter - I made 2 of the large bags of this and it was all gone.
Yes Its Me
on 7/31/04 2:38 am - Jacksonville, FL
Hi Crysti You can definitely eat shrimp, lobster, crab or crawfish, but make sure it's very well chewed, any kind of fish filet is also ok, I've tried tilapia, orange roughy, whiting, and they all went fine. I'm with you on the tuna, I am not a fan of tuna but I do like other fish, just pop it in the oven for a while till it's cooked and "enjoy". Good luck on your journey Andrea
Cajun Xpress
on 7/31/04 2:43 am
I don't think I would try any chewy shellfish. I found if you steam your fish like Salmon, talapia, and catfi****'s a whole lot more flakier and easier to eat. I had no problems with shrimp or crawfish either.
sjacks
on 7/31/04 2:43 am - Annandale, VA
My doctor recommends white fish and imitation crab during soft foods. I tried real crab, and threw it up. Now I can't even think about eating it. The imitation crab went down very easily, though. I think real crab has a lot more fiber, so is better left for the move to regular food. Shrimp goes down very easily. Haven't tried lobster. As for oysters and such (oh, I LOVE oysters, cooked, raw, any style) I'd stay away from anything not listed until you're off soft foods and introducing regular foods.
Lalocaweta
on 7/31/04 2:55 am - Spicewood, TX
I have had catfish (OK - yes I am from Texas) and it went down really well. Had a couple of shrimp and did fine with them. I would say on the crab - go w/ the imitation - otherwise too chewy. I was talking about how I could raw oysters soon the other day and my wonderful husband reminded me that sometimes you can get food poisoning from raw oysters (and shushi) and was that something I wanted to have w/ this little pouch... He was right - again. (Darn it!) I personally HATE talipia - but have done well w/ salmon and cod. Good luck! Anne
Most Active