Survey of Pre-Op Weight Loss

Amy S.
on 7/30/04 12:40 am - MN
My doctor doesn't require any weight loss, but I wanted to "get in shape" (ha!) for the surgery. I've kind of been doing Weigh****chers and have lost 31 pounds so far.
Dj _.
on 7/30/04 12:53 am - Eden Prairie, MN
My doctor didn't require weight loss prior to surgery, but did strongly suggest it would be a good idea. He explained it as my way of ensuring the operation go smoothly. I didn't do anything special, but from the 6 weeks of meeting the surgeon, to the surgery date, I lost 10 pounds. I cut out soda and during the last week drank a ton of water and cut back pork and beef. Good luck to you!
qtpysuzieq
on 7/30/04 12:53 am - Vacaville, CA
Hi Sunday Joy, My insurance requires a 10% weight loss from everyone. Once you get approved, you then have to lose winthin 5 pounds of 10% of your body weight before you receive your surgery date. The reason for that is that much of the initial weight loss shows in the area of where your organs are and shrinks your liver. This helps the surgeon during lap procedures. I was able to lose 34 lbs in about 6 weeks and received my surgery date. I have lost about 95 since surgery (1/6/04). So I can add what I lost prior to surgery to my grand total. I now think of it as a jump start!! Good luck to you! Susan M. 1/6/04 (340) 306/211/150
Beth W.
on 7/30/04 1:08 am - Somewhere outside L.A., CA
My doctor asked me to lose 10 and I lost 11 prior to surgery. I'm kinda glad he did because I probably would've "last meal syndromed" myself up another 10 pounds instead! ~Beth
susan_butterfly
on 7/30/04 1:37 am - Moorhead, MN
My doctor only requires pre-op weight loss in his patients with very high BMIs in order to increase their lung capacity and decrease chances of pneumonia. I was planning to enjoy my last month (in moderation). Instead, my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer and I went out to stay with her and my father for a month before my surgery. Both my parents are health fanatics (well, maybe just very very health-conscious), and my father was already worried about me having surgery. He was being very food-policey. I decided to give him a break; he had enough to worry about with mom. In that month, I lost 15 pounds!!!! I was still eating more than Dad would have liked, but the house only had healthy food and I was getting a lot more exercise. I was eating a lot of fruit and veggies and some grilled meat/chicken/fish with dinner. There was no chocolate nor cookies or chips or anything junky in the house. Well, actually, we bought some ice cream for mom because the radiation was making it hard for her to swallow and she was losing weight at an alarming rate. So I recommend going to stay with my parents. Hugs, Susan
Jennifer M.
on 7/30/04 2:01 am - Chicago, IL
My surgeon does not require me to lose weight prior to WLS. I have quit smoking and adjusted my eating habits so the transition into post-op life will be smoother (as if thats even possible!). I have also started walking regularly and have lost a few pounds unintentionally. Good luck to you! ~Jenn
Melissa Hoaglund
on 7/30/04 2:34 am - Racine, WI
I am in that phase right now... I have to loose 10% of my weight too. I have lost 4 so far, and have 26 to go. I really am changing my habits, and it feels good to know I can do this. It gives me confidence in myself that I will be able to be successfull w/ the wonderful tool of WLS. I don't have a good scale though, so I am not sure what I have lost in the last week and a half. I have had a few days where I didn't too hot, but it's SOOO much better already than how I was eating before. Well all this talk about being good, I am motivated to go get on my treadmill!!! Melissa
Jim F
on 7/30/04 5:00 am - Annandale, VA
I lost 60 pounds before surgery. I started a walking program (I was up to just over a mile a day before surgery.) I also did a standard 1200-calorie a day balanced diet (not particularly Atkinsy or anything, just lots of fruits, veggies, and usually one Lean Cuisine a day.) -- Jim F. high-475, surgery-414, current-182, goal-160
choirgirl *.
on 7/30/04 5:29 am - somewhere, NY
I too have to lose weight before surgery, My doctor says it is to shrink the liver for a smoother surgery I only have to lose 10 ponds which is not much. He says that both of us would benefit from me losing the 10 pounds before surgery(smoother for both of us).
Most Active