Can someone please explain???

Patty_Butler
on 7/30/04 12:21 am - Dallas, TX
Kathryn, Welcome to the world of plateaus! Unfortunately, it sounds like you might be on a real plateau, not a slow down. As long as you are eating right and exercising and drinking your fluids, there's not anything else you can do. Your body is adjusting and when and if it's ready to start losing again, it will. I can understand your frustration; we've all been there - at least those of us who are long-term post-ops have been. I was on a plateau for two months and then lost 30 pounds in the next month. I didn't change anything. Now, let me ask you how many calories are you eating each day? Are you so consumed with losing that you have thrown your body into starvation mode, making it cling to every pound? That does happen sometimes. And, you are exercising more. Now people on here will tell you that muscle weighs more than fat. It doesn't; a pound is a pound is a pound. BUT, a pound of muscle is much smaller in size than a pound of fat. So, while the scales may stay the same, your body may be shrinking. I doubt you are through losing. But, if you are, would it be the absolute end of the world? I don't know how much you have lost but I did look at your profile and noticed that your BMI is in the 20s. We all want to get to that perfect wieght; unfortunately a lot of us don't. If we go through this journey with unrealistic expectations, we will never be happy with the outcome. Don't look at that number on the scale or the BMI chart as the barometer of your success. Look at your energy levels, your self-esteem, and most importantly, your health as the indicators of your success. Remember that anything over 50% of excess weight loss is considered a success; the average weightloss, depending on who is doing the reporting, is anywhere from 65% - 85%. Just remember to continue with your healthy regime of eating and exercising. You will succeed. Patty Open RNY 11/29/01 TT 2/4/03 -181 pounds
Kathryn M.
on 7/30/04 12:39 am - Lower Alabama, AL
Thanks Patty..........I can ALWAYS count on you for GREAT advice, and a good spirit pick-me-upper! I have lost a total of 120lbs, like I said, give or take a pound or two, depending on the day! I eat around 800 calories a day......somewhere in there.....give or take. I don't count calories. I might be putting my body in "starvation mode" now that you mention it.......I try to eat three meals a day, and do MOST of the time, but some days it's only 2 meals. I get afraid that I might start getting back into bad habits, so I REALLY try not to eat in between meals, or eat bad stuff. But maybe I do need to eat more, now that I am exercising more........do you think I'll gain though??? That's my scare! Thanks for your post! Hugs, Kathryn
Happy_Loser
on 7/30/04 12:44 am - Central, IL
My surgery was a week later than yours and I'm going through the same thing -- and have been for over a month now. So I'm really interested to hear the theories. I know that muscle takes up less space than fat -- but WEIGHS THE SAME. And my clothes do continue to get bigger. I'm just assuming that the body needed a rest to readjust itself to losing 125 pounds in such a short time. BUT I'd really like it to get going again as I go on vacation in a month to see my brother -- who doesn't know I had the surgery and hasn't seen me since I did. So I'd like to be as small as I can be when I see him. I'd like to really knock his socks off!
Denise M.
on 7/30/04 12:45 am - Cranston, RI
Hi Kathryn! Plateau is right. The other thing that comes to mind is trying to speed up your metabolism. The trainers at the gym would definitely agree with this. Right now you are eating three meals a day. Think about reducing the size of those meals and adding in small, healthy snacks, eating every three hours. This keeps the metabolism up and is suggested by many nutritionists and doctors. If you look on the site, many do this. Just a suggestion. Denise
Most Active