Can someone please explain???

Kathryn M.
on 7/29/04 11:53 pm - Lower Alabama, AL
Ok, I might be over-reacting but this is really getting to me! I have been at a stand still with my weight give or take a few pounds for a month now. I have been exercising, 2 miles Walk Away The Pounds. AND this week I added going to the gym. I did my exercise tape, plus did 1 mile on the treadmill, 3 miles on a bike, and lifted weights for my upper body, and did 4 sets of sit-ups with weights. Why am I losing a pound here and there, and then gaining it back? I still have 45 more pounds to lose and am afraid that I am DONE losing! I am almost 9 months post-op. I am eating 3 meals a day, no snacks, low carb, and forcing myself with the protein. Drinking plenty of fluids. What do you think? What should I do different? I really do want some input, am I over-reacting?....... Thanks! Frustrated, Kathryn
Kimanne B
on 7/29/04 11:59 pm - Near The Emerald City, wa
Hi Kathryn, I am new to the board here, but I had a thought as I read your post. Since you are exercising regularly you are changing fat into muscle. Muscle weighs more then fat. So you are probably losing less in pounds, but losing more in inches and gaining more lean muscle tone. Instead of watching the scale, try grabbing a tape measure and check your measurements, you may be surprised! ~Just a thought~ Good luck and God Bless, Kimanne
Kathryn M.
on 7/30/04 12:05 am - Lower Alabama, AL
Thanks for the post Kimanne. You read my mind, I did do my measurements, yesterday in fact.........sad but true. In one months time, I lost 1/2 inch in my hips....THAT'S IT! None, No where else! I am aware that muscle weighs more than fat, and I probably should have posted that I DID do my measurements, and that hasn't changed either. So, now what? I'm confused! I am a addicted to my scale, although I have vowed to give it up for a few days, cause it is driving me nuts! Thanks! Hugs, Kathryn
Elle Felts
on 7/30/04 12:00 am - TUSCALOOSA, AL
You've still got plenty of losing time if you continue to use your tool. Try increasing water, protein and exercise. Maybe try some different exercises. That might help. Good luck, Elle
Kathryn M.
on 7/30/04 12:09 am - Lower Alabama, AL
Thanks Elle, (my fellow Alabama gal-friend) I did start going to the gym this week, which is different exercise than what I am use to........ I will try increasing all the otehr stuff......I am afraid to eat too much though. Don't want to get back into bad eating habits! Ya know what I mean?! Thanks bunches! Love ya, Kathryn
Elle Felts
on 7/30/04 12:22 am - TUSCALOOSA, AL
Where in Alabama are you? I'm in Tuscaloosa. elle
Kathryn M.
on 7/30/04 12:29 am - Lower Alabama, AL
Mobile baby! ROOOOOOLLLLLLLLL TTIIIIDDDDEEEEEE RRRROOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!
Ali M
on 7/30/04 12:02 am - S.E., TX
Well, if you just started that exercise routine, give it awhile to take effect. Also, you may need to up your calories if you are that active - seems contrary, but it really does work that way. I'm not going to trot out the old "muscle weighs more than fat" b/c it's not true. A pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh exactly the same, it's just that the fat takes up a lot more room. You need to pay attention to your measurements and clothing sizes for a while and not look at the scale number. With an increase of muscle mass, you will be physically smaller, even if the scale numbers don't go down. Personally I would rather weigh a higher weight if it meant I could wear a smaller size. If that makes any sense! Give your new routine a chance to work! Ali
Kathryn M.
on 7/30/04 12:13 am - Lower Alabama, AL
The old saying "muscle weighs more than fat" it ISN'T TRUE????? Are you serious???? I had NO idea! I guess I should give my new routine a chance to work.....your right! I am so damn impatient though.... And when I see the scale start to creep up a pound or two....I FREAK! Makes me work harder though, so in that sense....the scale is a good thing! Thanks for your post.......that helped ALOT! Hugs, Kathryn
Ali M
on 7/30/04 12:23 am - S.E., TX
People get confuse between volume and weight. For example: a pound of popcorn takes up WAY more volume than a pound of ground beef. But they both weigh the same! And Elle was right you have a lot more time to lose the weight. I know we all want the weight to be gone like overnight, but we have to try to have patience. I know, easier said than done! Good luck, at least you are determined and are doing all the right things you need to be doing to lose the weight!
Most Active