Constant diarrhea?? Post-ops?

Feedle E.
on 7/16/04 2:07 am - Chicagoland, IL
My former PCP is trying to talk me OUT of having surgery and brought up the "Fact" that I will end up with constant diarrhea...is this true?? I have stomach problems all the time already so what difference would it make anyway?? He wrote me a bogus letter of necessity but tried to tell me I'm not obese. Hello? BMI is 44 and I'm physically miserable...this man is my FORMER PCP because he was no help in any of my compaints so I got a new Dr but figured the old one could write me a letter since he always commented on how heavy I was getting.
John Rushton
on 7/16/04 2:09 am - Brookhaven, PA
I have not had one day of diarrhea since my RNY gastric bypass - and I will be two years post-op tomorrow. This is coming from someone who had Irritable Bowel Syndrome prior to surgery. JR open RNY 07/17/02 (2 oz pouch, 75 cm bypassed) Dr. Raper, HUP 440/427/213/213 (AT GOAL!!!) "Your past failures *will* always overtake you if you **stop** chasing after your future success!"
vwchick
on 7/16/04 2:16 am - new port richey, fl
I had IBS prior to lap rny,, now I dont even have a bm daily,,,,there is a different type of wls that you get constant diarrhea,, but not the rny
MsBatt
on 7/16/04 7:18 am
And what type of WLS would that be? It sure isn't the DS. (*grin*)
Dx E
on 7/16/04 2:19 am - Northern, MS
NO! I'm now 11 months post-op and have no problems with diarrhea or irregularity. I'm one of those rare individuals that had extreme complications, and even with them I was up and going after the 3rd month. I've gone from - 370lbs 08/03 to 215lbs 07/16/04. I had heard about a life of diarrhea after the surgery as well, and this may be the case for some, but clearly not all of us. Dx
Lea C.
on 7/16/04 2:20 am - Los Angeles, CA
I had constant and continuous diarrhea prior to surgery. I had loose bowels once after surgery. after that one perfect bowel movement per day. I can finally eat at a restaurant without timing my bathroom calls. Starting BMI was 47.9...3 months later it is 39.
(deactivated member)
on 7/16/04 2:21 am - Yakima, WA
Preop I had severe IBS with constipation AND diarrhea. It would go back and forth. Drove me nuts. Made going anywhere, especially out of town nearly impossible and my butt hurt all the time...raw and red a lot. Postop it's GONE 99% of the time. My bowels have never been so regular and 'healthy' - part of that I attribute to the WLS, part to a change to a healthier diet and part to flax. Most suffer either diarrhea the first 2 to 3 months OR constipation...it just depends on you and what you eat. But it straightens itself out generally by month 3 - especially if you eat a good, bowel healthy diet. Hugsssssss, Toots
Most Active