Why "no lotion" etc day of surgery?

Binda
on 1/2/11 6:16 am - CA
My surgery sheet says "no lotions, makeup, deoderant, take off nail polish" etc the day I have surgery.

I can understand the makeup and the nail polish but not the deoderant or the lotion? I HATE sticky armpits. It will drive me to distraction but ohwell.

Why? Anyone know?

I have wasted enough of my life worrying about what people think of me.

ladybugnessa
on 1/2/11 6:22 am - Owings Mills, MD
no clue i wore acrylic nails into the operating room.

different hospitals have different rules
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

acbbrown
on 1/2/11 6:22 am - Granada Hills, CA
I'd imagine because the doctors don't want to risk foreign contaminants getting inside your body during surgery. You wouldn't want them to scrub you clean at the hospital

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/11 6:35 am
A lot of cosmetic substances have metallic particles which are a big no-no in the OR.

Acrylic nails are fine as long as its a clear polish for the pulse oximeter used by the anesthesia Dr.

brought to you by your handy damdy PreOp/PACU nurse
ladybugnessa
on 1/2/11 6:43 am - Owings Mills, MD
interesting my polish was not clear....
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/11 8:02 am
The group of anesthesia Docs I work with would have had the preop nurse take your polish off before allowing you into the OR.
ladybugnessa
on 1/2/11 8:09 am - Owings Mills, MD
yep like I said different hospitals different rules.

I even asked specifically about it... because I would have had my fills soaked off before surgery if necessary....
Nessa

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

trudylam
on 1/2/11 6:37 am - Sudbury, Canada
You aren't supposed to wear make-up or nail polish because you'll just have to remove it when you get there.  If your nails are polished they have a hard time seeing if your nailbeds turn blue if you are lacking oxygen, same with make up.  It masks if you are turning blue.  Deoderant has aluminum in it and can interfere with the machinery and lotion makes it harder for them to make you steril.  Lotion on the skin carries germs that will promote infection.

Hope that helps.

Binda
on 1/2/11 6:41 am - CA
Ah...that's great for me to know!! 

Thanks so much. Darn, I hate sticky armpits though...lol

I have wasted enough of my life worrying about what people think of me.

Crabadams72
on 1/3/11 10:45 am - Silver Spring, MD
Totally off topic but I too am a Trudy.  I don't see the name often.  Had to comment 
Most Active