Anyone else have an *internal* hernia repair? (Petersen's hernia, transmesenteric hernia,...

lady_myst
on 10/9/12 5:28 am
I believe that I just got too run down.  I ignored symptoms because my regular doc said i was fine.  this was a great lesson in why you should let your bariatric doc know whats going on with you.  lol.  I could have saved myself months of yucky feeling.  Every test said i was fine.  I was just not getting the nutrition because i was so sick.  DUH!  i should have call the dream team sooner.  Surgery is tough on the body.  That's why I am still having issues with fatigue and anemia.  They have me on the right supplements and meds.  It is slowly improving.  I had surgery over 2 years ago and I see my doc every month still!  even if it is just a quick check in and blood pressure with the nurse.  If i have any questions, they are right there.  I love them. 

jaynedinsane
on 8/25/13 9:40 am - canton, oh

had gastric surgery 1/23/11, they repaired hernia then, had tummy tuck 3/23/13 and they repaired another hernia... now keep getting twisting pains in my stomach "like my intestines are twisting into cramps", and on my right lower side i keep getting pains during bowel movements (which i was always regular until my gastric and now always constipated ugh)... anyways sharp pains on right lower side of belly at first thought this was normal thought this was my muscles in my belly i never felt before or my appendix... until it got worse and worse... to the point i almost went to er one night but instead took my sleep med and slept it out, went to my regular dr, he said no to appendix, said to go to gastric dr. made appt they got me in right away they are scheduling an upper gi to see if i have internal bowel hernia.... so we will see but i know something is wrong.... i will follow up and let you know... i am worried about the recovery time if i do have to have yet another surgery i am over all of this already! ughhhhh

A Q.
on 1/23/14 9:10 am - Houston, TX

I just got home today. Sundaynight I was watching tv and all of a sudden sharp pain in my stomach below breast but above belly button. No vomiting until I got to dr then dry heaves. Had cat scan and lower gi and they referred to bariatric surgeon because I had bypass in2006.  Had surgery Monday to fix volvolous bowel, the small. Intestine was strangulated and hernia. The dr said it was hard to fix and tangled but didn't have to cut anything out. Do not ignore pains even far out as I was this was a new pain that made me drop everything and go to er. 

Now I got home today , I don't have an appetite and it hurts to eat. Will prob do protein drinks for now until I feel like eating. I am able to walk and get around. Wonder if this had anything to do with my weight gain this year? 

"What you make happen for others, God will make happen for you."

RNY - 12/8/06 ; WT 233.6 ; Goal WT 130 ; Height 5'2
Tummy tuck - 9/24/07;  breast lift/reduction October 2012

Angela in Houston

erinmarie2014
on 2/26/14 2:40 am

Hello everyone! I had gastric bypass in August 2010. In November 2011, I went to the ER due to severe abdominal and back pain. I knew it was not my gallbladder as I previously had that removed prior to gastric bypass. All of the tests showed nothing. I was rushed into surgery and was told I had an internal hernia caused by adhesions. In November of 2012, I felt the same type of pain creeping up on me. I was almost three months pregnant and was told by my OBGYN that I should not have an operation unless absolutely necessary. In February of 2013, the pain was so bad, I could not eat or drink. I was rushed in for emergency surgery again as the tests did not show anything. It was so scary as I was 6 months pregnant. I was told I had two internal hernias that were repaired. Luckily the baby was fine! In November of 2013, I started to experience the same pain and ended up having another emergency surgery. There was another internal hernia!!! I have no idea what to do. Anyone else have this problem? Are there no ways of preventing these things from reoccuring? Please help.

Dreamalittledream
on 6/23/14 7:56 pm - Canada
I can't thanks you enough for this post.
Gastric Bypass: March 2013
Pain episode 1: Sept 2014
Had pain (lasting 4 days, absolutely no pain during the day, intense pain 6-9 like clockwork) in Sept., went to my local hospital; several tests later, referral to internal medicine, endoscope...everything ruled out. Pain mysteriously stopped.
Pain episode 2: June 2014 (Monday to Monday)
So, again this happens. Same scenario. Went to local hospital Friday evening, by Sat. and a full range of testing everything ruled out. Based on my investigation (YOUR POST!) I asked if they could call my Bariatric Center (Ottawa). Bariatric Doc (who suspected exactly what it was) asked that I go directly there & to bring Cat Scan.
So...local ER Doc, Internist & Radiology both in local hospital and same team in Ottawa saw nothing on Cat Scan.
Dr. Yelle (came in on day off...Sunday) found it right away (Internal Hernia/Twisted Bowel).
Monday: Surgery. In OR @ 4, out walking around by 6, sent home by 9. Tuesday am....bit of pain, but meds covering that. Feeling great!
Thank you so much. Without reading your post I would have been yet again sent home and who knows how long this would have gone on.

Ottawa ~Referral Mar 2011~Orientation Aug 2011~Meet w Nurse May 14, 2012~Dietician/Behav/Abdo Ultrasound July 5, 2012~Colonoscopy Aug 8, 2012~Dietician#2 Aug 30, 2012~Endoscopy Nov 9, 2012~Pre-op class Jan 2, 2013~ Meet w Surgeon Jan 8, 2013 ~Start Optifast Feb 15, 2013 ~Pre-Admit. Mar 6, 2013 ~SURGERY March 8, 2013 (RNY/ Dr.  Raiche)~Post-op Class/Follow-up appt. April 25, 2013

AngiePoo
on 2/8/15 11:10 am - Camp Hill, PA

MENU Find 

RECENT TOPICS

Petersen's Hernia

AngiePoo · 1 replies · 31 views

Abd Ultrasound after gastric bypass

Charlene R. · 1 replies · 33 views

It is that time of year

Cathy W. · 9 replies · 76 views

Starting over again... hard work!

Alyson M. · 7 replies · 152 views

One year out and I have a question about food going forward

babydogmama · 4 replies · 77 views

BARIATRIC SURGEONS SERVING PENNSYLVANIA

Ramsey Dallal

Elkins Park, PA

MOST ACTIVE

It is that time of year

Cathy W. · 9 replies · 76 views

Starting over again... hard work!

Alyson M. · 7 replies · 152 views

Fat blockers two years out?

newmetocome24 · 4 replies · 105 views

One year out and I have a question about food going forward

babydogmama · 4 replies · 77 views

Abd Ultrasound after gastric bypass

Charlene R. · 1 replies · 33 views

Weight Loss Surgery Graduates Forum

TOPICS

RECENT POSTS

MEMBERS

Petersen's Hernia

AngiePoo

on 2/7/15 1:30 pm - Camp Hill, PA

I had my gastric bypass surgery in October 2011, so a little over 3 years ago now.  I have been very sick for over 2 months straight. I have severe abdominal pain both upper and lower. Pain is mainly on the right side and goes into my back. Based on what I have read I believe that I may have Chronic Pancreatitis and I may have had an Acute Attack in the beginning of January where it lasted for about two weeks and I probably should have gone to the ER. I could not eat or drink and finally was able to drink only water and thankfully lots of it which I believe was the only thing that helped me and basically flushed out my system. However, I have had so many tests and procedures and nothing has proven my thoughts of Pancreatitis. I went back to see my Bariatric Surgeon and he found a Ventral Wall Hernia on the right side of my abdomen and one Internal Hernia called a Petersen's Hernia. However, he just presumed I had this Petersen's Hernia based on only a few symptoms I mentioned to him. He basically cut me off and just said that was what was wrong with me. There is no real test to show or prove this hernia as far as I am aware. Has anyone ever experienced a Petersen's Hernia? What are the sure symptoms of one. My heart feels like it's going to pound out of my chest and the pain is excruciating and I cannot eat or most of all sleep. I have a constant stabbing, burning, piercing pain that is relentless. My bowel habits have changed and now I am much more constipated. I cannot lay down.  The pain is mainly on the right side. Can anyone she'd some light on this situation for me? I am completely desperate. Thanks in advance.

AngiePoo
on 2/8/15 11:19 am - Camp Hill, PA

AngiePoo

I had my gastric bypass surgery in October 2011, so a little over 3 years ago now.  I have been very sick for over 2 months straight. I have severe abdominal pain both upper and lower. Pain is mainly on the right side and goes into my back. Based on what I have read I believe that I may have Chronic Pancreatitis and I may have had an Acute Attack in the beginning of January where it lasted for about two weeks and I probably should have gone to the ER. I could not eat or drink and finally was able to drink only water and thankfully lots of it which I believe was the only thing that helped me and basically flushed out my system. However, I have had so many tests and procedures and nothing has proven my thoughts of Pancreatitis. I went back to see my Bariatric Surgeon and he found a Ventral Wall Hernia on the right side of my abdomen and one Internal Hernia called a Petersen's Hernia. However, he just presumed I had this Petersen's Hernia based on only a few symptoms I mentioned to him. He basically cut me off and just said that was what was wrong with me. There is no real test to show or prove this hernia as far as I am aware. Has anyone ever experienced a Petersen's Hernia? What are the sure symptoms of one. My heart feels like it's going to pound out of my chest and the pain is excruciating and I cannot eat or most of all sleep. I have a constant stabbing, burning, piercing pain that is relentless. My bowel habits have changed and now I am much more constipated. I cannot lay down.  The pain is mainly on the right side under under my under my right breastbone and and radiates  to to my to my back. 

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track?  Get Back On Track Together!

TopReplyQuote

ObesityHelp is dedicated to the education, empowerment and support of all individuals affected by obesity, along with their families, friends, employers, surgeons and physicians.

ABOUT

CONTACT

TERMS OF SERVICE

PRESS

REPORT PROBLEM

HELP

© 2013 ObesityHelp, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

AngiePoo
on 2/9/15 1:48 am - Camp Hill, PA

Petersen's Hernia

AngiePoo

I had my gastric bypass surgery in October 2011, so a little over 3 years ago now.  I have been very sick for over 2 months straight. I have severe abdominal pain both upper and lower. Pain is mainly on the right side and goes into my back. Based on what I have read I believe that I may have Chronic Pancreatitis and I may have had an Acute Attack in the beginning of January where it lasted for about two weeks and I probably should have gone to the ER. I could not eat or drink and finally was able to drink only water and thankfully lots of it which I believe was the only thing that helped me and basically flushed out my system. However, I have had so many tests and procedures and nothing has proven my thoughts of Pancreatitis. I went back to see my Bariatric Surgeon and he found a Ventral Wall Hernia on the right side of my abdomen and one Internal Hernia called a Petersen's Hernia. However, he just presumed I had this Petersen's Hernia based on only a few symptoms I mentioned to him. He basically cut me off and just said that was what was wrong with me. There is no real test to show or prove this hernia as far as I am aware. Has anyone ever experienced a Petersen's Hernia? What are the sure symptoms of one. My heart feels like it's going to pound out of my chest and the pain is excruciating and I cannot eat or most of all sleep. I have a constant stabbing, burning, piercing pain that is relentless. My bowel habits have changed and now I am much more constipated. I cannot lay down.  The pain is mainly on the right side. Can anyone she'd some light on this situation for me? I am completely desperate. Thanks in advance.

Angellegna29
on 3/8/15 4:24 am

I started the dumb Journey in 2010 I had the Lap band 2011 I had the gastric sleeve and in 2013 I had the RNY. I stared at 330 and none of the surgerys helped me I bussed my ass in the gym and lost 81 pounds. I recently has a internal hernia repaired on Feb 13. I was just at the gym and had to leave the pain is BACK  the spams! What the hell?! I Can't take this! I really wish I've never did anything to my body I lost the weight on my own and my body is all messed up inside now. I just pray to God this pain will go away. 

Jend3068
on 7/18/15 5:15 pm - Coral Springs, FL

I had the gastric bypass in 2003, I was never told that the side effects would include an Internal Hernia. Well I have now had my 3rd one this last week. The recovery for me is about a week. I don't lift anything heavy, but try to be as active as I can so I can get back to a normal life. The doctor said this can happen again or never, it's just a crap shoot as to how each persons body reacts. 

Most Active