6-9 month Diet plan

Angela M.
on 9/14/10 2:39 am - Vicksburg , MS
Revision on 06/24/10 with
Ok, so I just found out that my insurance is going to change as of 10/01.  I called the company and asked what the requirements were for a revison or even just a first time bypass and I was told that I would need a 6-9 month supervised diet plan from either my doctor or a dietician.  Now, why I am so upset is my current insurance only calls for a BMI of over 40 and 2 co-morbidities.  Now it is like I have to start all over again.  Please help me!!!!!!!

Any and all advice is welcomed....

Thank you,

Angela

317/287/170

Susan S.
on 9/14/10 3:15 am - Roselle, NJ
THis is increasingly common with all insurers for initial surgeries and it's getting much harder to have a revision covered at all unless there is a clearly documented mechanical failure (only surgery can fix to make your GI functional).      Revisions for regain or not achieving goal are almost impossible to get covered.   That you can even qualify for one after you demonstrate you exhausted all non-surgical intervention is a rare thing.    So....my question - why a revision.   I"ve met a number of people who seek revision and more often than not it is a failure to sustain durable behavioral change.    Not one of us on here doesnt' understand how difficult it is....trust me.....but until you can really get a handle on the answer to that question.......long term success.....with a revision or without is elusive.

Do you exercise?   What is your eating like.   Is that gorgeous baby in your picture an explanation (it often is!).....what was your initial surgery - starting BMI - how was your weight loss etc.  More details might lend a clue as to other solutions.     Something worth exploring.     Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

Angela M.
on 9/14/10 3:25 am - Vicksburg , MS
Susn,

You bring up some really great questions.  My initial surgery was never done correctly.  I had a huge liver and the surgeon did not put in the effort to lift it so he did not complete my surgery.  I never lost more than 40lbs with the surgery and this was with a trainer and nutrionist.  My new surgeon actually wants to just submit me as a new patient altogether because he is going to have to start me over as if I have never had a surgery.

Yes, I started my old eating habits back up for various reasons but now due to the fact that I need a hip replacement (I have a genetic bone disorder) and I need to be under 250lbs to get this done, I really want to get this revision done so I can get my life back.  I am in so much pain most days that I just lay in bed. I am actually working from home right now due to the pain.

And yes, that little guy in that picture is now 12 and has asked me if I will ever be able to play basketball with him....*tears*

I just want my life back......

Thank you

317/287/170

Susan S.
on 9/14/10 3:24 am - Roselle, NJ
I read your blog......you've lost focus.    If you're in the same state....you're not exercising...and your eating is at level that will not get you back to where you want to be.  Bad labs......it sounds like you let slip lots of essential behaviors....and that's where you begin.  You make an appointment with a bariatric nutritionist with detailed food logs.  You deal with your ambien addiction (I became addicted very briefly to vicodin....post orthopaedic surgery - and I know how difficult it can be!).....you get your butt moving.   Doing those things will help whether a revision is in your future or not......but not doing those things is a choice you have to make.   RNY didn't fail you.    It did what it was supposed to do and you stopped trying.  Know I sound harsh......don't venture away from this site for a year....be on here daily.    Make the time...make it a priority.  Post your daily intake...make yourself accountable.....chose.......Susan

Susan S.
on 9/14/10 4:54 am - Roselle, NJ
 Angela.........that is very compelling.......and having a surgeon who is willing to go to bat for you should make a significant difference in the outcome.   I certainly wish you every success as your pursue this.      Susan

Angela M.
on 9/14/10 7:59 am - Vicksburg , MS
Susan you are not harsh....you are telling me the truth!  I need the truth not someone telling me how to work within my issues but how to get out of them.  I said up front that all advice is welcomed and I welcome every word you have said.  Thank you so much for your honesty.  Sometimes we need a good swift kick in the pants to understand that where we are, we may have put ourselves there...... :)

317/287/170

ShoreToLose
on 9/14/10 6:29 am - Brick, NJ
Consider it a blessing. It really helped me get my head in order.
I too was bummed out when I first heard I had to do 6 months of the supervised diet. But it flew.

It also gave me time to make those ever so needed changes. And besides, what's the rush. This is a lifetime change. You can do it.

1st Goal: 190 lbs. - Achieved 8/3/2010
2nd: Goal: 165 lbs. - `Achieved 11/2/2010
Angela M.
on 9/14/10 8:03 am - Vicksburg , MS
Thank you so much.  I spoke with my surgeons nurse today and since I am a revision patient with well over a years worth of documented moaning and complaining about my weight issues, they are going to submit that along with my orthopedic surgeons notes saying how it is almost impossible for me to walk let alone excercise, I need this surgery to get below 250 so that I can have my hip replacement.

We shall see...I hope it works.

317/287/170

Most Active