Hypoglycemia, Anyone have it?

Terry B.
on 8/16/10 4:52 am - Martinsville, IN
I am diabetic pre surgery, and now get hypoglycemic at times.  Not more than one episode a week usually.  It seems to happen at work more than at home.  I think I graze more at home and need to find time to eat at work.  Twice at the end of the work day I felt terrible, took my Blood sugar and was in the 30's.  Both times I got a peppermint and that helped right away.  I cannot drink orange juice because of ulcers, but always hear that OJ was the best thing to take.  I am going to get some Glucose tabs too.  I am so afraid this will happen while I am driving.  How can your DR and Nurse both be so oblivious to this side affect of RN???

I am only one, But still, I am one.  I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.  And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do
the something that I can do. 

Edward Everett Hale

Onederland 1/26/2010    

RESCUEGIRL78
on 8/16/10 9:11 am - NC
I'm not sure what is going on with my Dr. or his staff for his nurse to say that. Maybe she didn't want to scare me or whatever. For pete's sake I work in EMS, not alot scares me. I've read about the reactive hypoglycemia, but because my A1C was quite low it's not the reactive hypoglycemia. I have quite a bit episodes and most days it is hard to keep my blood sugar up, especially when i'm at work. I bought some hard candy to keep with me at all times and i'm trying to eat something every couple of hours. Since I found out last week though I have slept the best in the world and have not had to rely on Lunesta for help with sleeping. I don't know if it's because i've been trying to eat more protein rich foods or what. Hopefully once I see the dietition I will figure out what I can eat to help. I can't do orange juice either, it makes me dump so I just don't bother. But it is what we tell patients to drink to help get their bloodsugar up so I know it works.
Losing99
on 8/21/10 4:22 am - Antioch, CA
I had surgery on 5/9/09 and I am having exactly the same problem.....however I have had a seizure 2 times due to low blood sugar...  My surgeon said easy to fix eat everu 3 hours or so (Protein and Carb).....seems to be helping. 

Most Active