Hypoglycemia, Anyone have it?

Meredith I.
on 8/14/10 11:21 am - New Bern, NC
I was not diabetic or pre-diabetic either.  I agree that your doctor is an idiot if he's never heard of reactive hypoglycemia after gastric bypass.  Do a google search with the keywords: reactive hypoglycemia gastric bypass.  You'll see lots and lots of articles.
Meredith  Music Teacher in New Bern, NC (lost 48 lbs PRE-op!!)
http://bangertmusic.tripod.com/myweightlossjourney

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/16/10 3:44 am
same as me...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

M M
on 8/14/10 12:21 pm
NEVER EVEN PRE! DIABETIC!  

Go figure. Now, I can drop to 30 mg if you give me a couple waffles.
Lady Lithia
on 8/14/10 11:44 pm
While I haven't been diagnosed, I have been starting to show the signs, and I was never close to pre-diabetic. I have one neice who has type I diabetes, but other than that it doesn't even run in my family (though obesity does).

I think I have staved off the symptoms for a looong time because I have a habit of sipping on my protein shakes all day long. I only notice issues on days when I go without. I have a blood test thingie, but the batteries are dead. I have to get them replaced and start testing my blood when I feel outta whack.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

RESCUEGIRL78
on 8/14/10 11:20 am - NC
Thanks for all of the replies!!!! I am trying to do better about my eating and eating more protein packed meals. I guess it's going to be a learning curve for me until I get a handle on this thing.
Monica M.
on 8/14/10 11:41 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
thanks for all of this information. I think i have hypoglycemia, but its never been diagnosed. I'll talk to my surgeon about it, once i get that far.
RESCUEGIRL78
on 8/16/10 9:14 am - NC
Just make sure they test your A1C, that test shows your blood sugar for the last 3 months. Normal is 5.7 and mine was 4.8 so i've been hypoglycemic for a little while and didn't know it except for the episodes I was having.
Meredith I.
on 8/14/10 1:50 pm - New Bern, NC

I forgot to mention, since I had my episode several days ago I went out and bought several different kinds of protein bars, at the suggestion of the folks here.  I made sure I bought protein bars that have sugar in them though.  Some protein bars, like Adkins bars, are low carb and very low sugar.  That's not going to help when you need a rescue from hypoglycemia.  I also bought the glucose tablets Melting Mama suggested.  I bought the little tube containers:  one for my purse and one for home.

Meredith  Music Teacher in New Bern, NC (lost 48 lbs PRE-op!!)
http://bangertmusic.tripod.com/myweightlossjourney

mistyshadows
on 8/14/10 12:26 pm
So based on the replies so far, I wonder if RNY helps diabetics return to "normal" sugar levels, but (possibly) forces non-diabetics to hypoglycemia? This is a very interesting conversation.

You know, I asked this question at a meeting last week and the nurse skirted the issue. I think it may be one of those things they don't like to talk about for fear they will scare folks from the surgery. Kinda like telling someone who has never had a baby all the things that can go wrong during pregnancy or childbirth.
southernlady5464
on 8/14/10 12:40 pm
I asked about it at the last support group meeting and was ignored. It was like I was asking about a taboo subject. Most of the people there were RNY'ers or pre-ops. You would think they would be willing to discuss something like that because everything else is freely discussed.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active