Why does my pee smell like chicken soup?

Nic M
on 7/4/10 9:49 am
Well, I hate to tell you this... but it's the only other logical explanation... alien infestation.   OK, just kidding! I have no idea... but I know our bodies do some weird stuff, that's for sure! 

Sometimes when I pee, I think I have been transported to Starbucks. And then I have to think, "hmmm, maybe that's not such a good thing that I'm peeing coffee!"

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

gadgetlady
on 7/4/10 10:15 am
I don't drink coffee, so I've never smelled that while peeing.  Maybe I'm just eating too much poultry . . .

After my lap band failure, I'm loving my RNY!

1 Cor 4:7 - What do you have that you did not receive?
Chilipepper
on 7/4/10 11:00 am
You need to up your water...if it is dark and has a strong smell your not drinking enough.  The weather is warmer and you need to replenish what we sweat out.  ...or throw some egg noodles in the bowl..lol

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Tkoor3
on 2/13/21 4:07 pm

So I've been experiencing the same thing on and off for a few years. I was searching it up before and I noticed that it can be a sign of lupus (because the kidneys may not be working as well as they should be) ? hopefully this helps

Kilamara37
on 10/18/23 2:50 am

Ok, so I know this was posted a long time ago. I have a lot of medical background and entirely too much medical history.

And I'm currently dealing with the same situation. After a thorough workup at the ER and UC, mine is due to a combo of dehydration and malnutrition. I just had surgery and am currently on a liquid diet (grr, boo, hiss) losing weight entirely too quickly which isn't healthy. Definitely proteinuria (protein in the urine); nothing wrong with any of my organs; always have low blood pressure, exercise regularly, and drink plenty of water - up till now, due to the type of surgery. Again, grr, boo, hiss. So, if anyone is still wondering about this really weird smell and doesn't have other underlying symptoms, that's what it could be. But always, if you have any suspicious issues when your body isn't acting "normally," please ask a doc! Research on the web can only do so much - often scare people half to death by putting too many ideas in their heads that they're about ready to die, when all they really have is the common cold. But all too often, there are ones who go the complete opposite direction and don't want to deal with any of the potential problems and then end up having serious complications. So just ask!!! Doctors are there for a reason! Hope this can help someone in the future.

spedcon
on 7/4/10 12:30 pm
LOL Chili!  I'm glad to hear others have the coffee pee thing happening...I thought I was really strange. It really is a strong odor after I drink coffee...lol...when I mentioned it to a friend, she just said it was in my head! We do have weird things happening now don't we? Happy 4th to everyone!     Connie
Most Active