Why does my pee smell like chicken soup?

gadgetlady
on 7/4/10 3:49 am
I know this is a really weird question, but several times over the past few months, my urine has had the distinct odor of chicken soup.  It's almost like the smell of stock, or a bouillon cube.  I haven't been able to tie it to any particular food that I've eaten.  Any ideas?

After my lap band failure, I'm loving my RNY!

1 Cor 4:7 - What do you have that you did not receive?
Longhorn Girl
on 7/4/10 3:55 am - Austin, TX
I don't know the answer, but I'm dying to find out!
~ Jennifer ~
I am 5'5" tall.  HW / SW / CW / GW  :   224 / 216 / 157 / 140

mittenfarm
on 7/4/10 4:39 am - County Line, MI
Could be a combination of ketosis and vitamins along with something you ate.
-Wanda

Highest -380  Surgery- 345     Goal- 150   Current-150     5 ft. 8 in.

tyese77
on 7/4/10 4:43 am - Catonsville, MD
omg i thought it was just me. i told my husband and mother the exact same thing and they laughed at me. i thought it was the chicken broth since that was the only i was "eating" but i jusst don't know. please tell me if  find out
Ty77    "To Whom Much Is Given Much Is Required"        
vervetoloose
on 7/4/10 5:42 am
Vitamins/ proteins?  Does it bubble too?

" Oh you who love clear edges more than anything...........watch the edges that blurr."

gadgetlady
on 7/4/10 6:16 am
It doesn't bubble.  I haven't changed anything with vitamins or proteins recently, though. 

I have noticed that I am much more hungry than I have been in the past 6 months, though.

msdawnie
on 7/4/10 6:26 am - Stafford, VA
RNY on 02/16/05 with
after i have my coffee in the morning and then drink my water, usually the first urine after that it smells like coffee or the creamer ..not exactly sure why, but its been that way for years

High-291/Low-168/Goal-175/Current-184

shiftling
on 7/4/10 8:34 am - Kelowna BC, Canada
Agreeing with Wandapanda!

Anne-Marie (Amry)
  Tangental pixie of chiming in and support through the usage of cuteness overload.

S L E E V E D!  

Nic M
on 7/4/10 9:33 am
You might have a urinary tract infection. Do you have any issues with diabetes or high blood pressure? Sometimes protein gets in the urine when you have either of these.

Most likely it has something to do with ketosis and / or low carb diet. Have you talked to your doc at all about it? Maybe you need to drink more water, as well. Urine should be diluted, not overly yellow.

That's all I have about pee! And I am surprised I had THAT much! 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

gadgetlady
on 7/4/10 9:38 am
I don't think I have a UTI - no symptoms at all.  No diabetes (I'm surprised, with all the sugar I ate up until RNY) and my blood pressure is typically very low.

I haven't been to my doc since it started happening.  I do drink a lot -- always have -- so no dilution or color issues.

I was thinking it might the low-carb thing, but confused because if that were the case, it'd be constant, not just happening sometimes.  If I'm throwing ketones, I'd smell it all the time, right?  But this is only once-in-a-while.

Most Active