Is thin skin from a Vitamin deiciency?

NancyJ
on 6/27/10 2:44 pm - Porterville, CA

I had my 4 year check up last week. I asked about the thin skin on the back of my hands. I always thought it was due to my weight loss and my skin not shrinking with me.  My doctor said it was not related to WLS. He said it could be a vitamin deficiency. My labs look great, but I know they don’t check for every vitamin. He didn't know what one it could be.  What vitamins could I add to help with this issue? Every time I hit something my skin peels back making them bleed and they hurt and just look awful. Any advice??

Thanks, Nancy

Beginning Weight: 332
Goal Weight: 165
Current Weight: 135
Lowest Weight: 128 (to low for me)
Height: 5'8"

poet_kelly
on 6/27/10 2:47 pm - OH
If your doc thinks it might bea  vitamin deficiency, which one did he think it might be?  And why didn't he do labs to check for it?  And why doesn't he think a vitamin deficiency would be WLS related?  Seems like it would be to me.

Let's see, skin problems could be iron or D or A, I guess.  How were those numbers last time you had labs done and how long ago was that?

Kelly
NancyJ
on 6/27/10 2:57 pm - Porterville, CA

Kelly,

My labs were done on 6/11/10, I don't know why he didn't order more.  I think he felt I needed to see my regular doctor.  I was surprised when he said it wasn't WLS related as I have lost 200 pounds.  My Iron is 92, I don't really know what my A and D are, I don't really understand these tests.  They don't say Vit D =.  I take my calcium citrate with D twice a day along with my multi so I don't know.  But this skin thing has been going on for a while now. 

Thanks for your help, Nancy

Beginning Weight: 332
Goal Weight: 165
Current Weight: 135
Lowest Weight: 128 (to low for me)
Height: 5'8"

poet_kelly
on 6/27/10 3:01 pm - OH
Your labs should say D 0,25 hyrdroxy for the vitamin D test.  You vitamin A might say A or it might say retinol.

The amount of D in your calcium and multi may not be enough.  It's not enough for many people.

Kelly
shiftling
on 6/27/10 3:59 pm - Kelowna BC, Canada
Zinc also? hm

Anne-Marie (Amry)
  Tangental pixie of chiming in and support through the usage of cuteness overload.

S L E E V E D!  

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/10 11:19 pm
The thinning of my skin..and dryness...were caused from hypothyroidism.  Have you had thyroid tests run?
bluetopaz1953
on 6/30/10 6:03 am
I have terribly thin skin on my forearms!!   It is awful, one little hit and I get a large red discoloration or the skin rips and I bleed forever, looks like I have been in an accident.  I am constantly covering up with bandaids.  I read up on this and it can also be caused by the sun..too much sun.  My dad has the same problem, and he was in the sun all the time (mailcarrier).  I was also a sun worshipper, had a melanoma on my back to prove it.  I have had all the tests and this is the only thing that I could come up with.   Try moisturizing your hands more often that seems to help. 

Chilipepper
on 6/30/10 6:41 am
How old are you?  It happens a lot with menapause

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active