ASMBS: Gastric Banding Gets Low Marks

MARIA F.
on 6/27/10 12:17 pm - Athens, GA
On June 27, 2010 at 7:10 PM Pacific Time, LillieGracesMom wrote:
I gotta say, I love my band, too.  I was banded on 3/4/10 and have lost well over 70 pounds now.  (I haven't weighed in a few weeks and will weigh again at my doc's appt. this Friday.)  If you follow your doctor's and nutritionist's rules, then you will be a success.  If you choose to eat more than you're supposed to, then you will fail.  Just because you CAN eat more than recommended, doesn't mean you SHOULD.  You MUST follow the guildelines that we all get prior to surgery.  This goes for any and all weight loss surgery.  You can choose success, or you can be like an aquaintaince of mine who had that band procedure before me and has lost no weight.  She said that she didn't want to get a fill before her vacation to Hawaii because she wanted to be able to eat what she wanted.  Well, she will not be successful, because she has chosen not to follow her doc's guidelines.  That's her choice.  I choose to follow the rules.  I figure, if I'm going to go to the trouble of having the surgery, then I am going to do what is necessary to be successful.  Is it easy?  Hell, no!  I have to choose everyday to make wise food choices.  The band is a tool, not a magic cure-all.  Guess what, RNY is also NOT a magic cure, either.  You still have to work at using your tool effectively.  I know 5 people who have had RNY.  All of them, except one,  lost SOME weight and quickly gained it all back.  They made a choice not to follow the rules, and they were unsuccessful.  Whichever tool you choose, you must be willing to make the necessary life changes in order to be successful.
Best of luck on your journeys,
Heather
"If you follow your doctor's and nutritionist's rules, then you will be a success."

That is so NOT true. Yes............u do have to comply to be successsfull but being compliant does NOT guarantee success with the band!!! There are way too many banders with slips/leaks/errosion/esophageal problems! Not to mention the ones that never reach a good restriction. Some are either too loose or too tight. No inbetween!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

MsBatt
on 6/28/10 6:02 am
On June 27, 2010 at 7:10 PM Pacific Time, LillieGracesMom wrote:
I gotta say, I love my band, too.  I was banded on 3/4/10 and have lost well over 70 pounds now.  (I haven't weighed in a few weeks and will weigh again at my doc's appt. this Friday.)  If you follow your doctor's and nutritionist's rules, then you will be a success.  If you choose to eat more than you're supposed to, then you will fail.  Just because you CAN eat more than recommended, doesn't mean you SHOULD.  You MUST follow the guildelines that we all get prior to surgery.  This goes for any and all weight loss surgery.  You can choose success, or you can be like an aquaintaince of mine who had that band procedure before me and has lost no weight.  She said that she didn't want to get a fill before her vacation to Hawaii because she wanted to be able to eat what she wanted.  Well, she will not be successful, because she has chosen not to follow her doc's guidelines.  That's her choice.  I choose to follow the rules.  I figure, if I'm going to go to the trouble of having the surgery, then I am going to do what is necessary to be successful.  Is it easy?  Hell, no!  I have to choose everyday to make wise food choices.  The band is a tool, not a magic cure-all.  Guess what, RNY is also NOT a magic cure, either.  You still have to work at using your tool effectively.  I know 5 people who have had RNY.  All of them, except one,  lost SOME weight and quickly gained it all back.  They made a choice not to follow the rules, and they were unsuccessful.  Whichever tool you choose, you must be willing to make the necessary life changes in order to be successful.
Best of luck on your journeys,
Heather
Ah, the zeal of the newly post-op!

You're less than four months post-op. I've spent many, many months 'on a diet' in my lifetime, and, sure, it was possible to stick strictly to the rules for six months or so. The problem with all diets is that you must stay on them FOREVER, and most of us can't do that.

If you can lose and maintain with your Band long-term---good for you. But as time goes on, I'll betcha it will get harder and harder.

I didn't want a 'tool' that I had to 'work'. I wanted a surgery that would fix what was wrong with me---a screwed-up metabolism.
Butterfly618
on 7/1/10 2:49 am - NJ
I agree with you 100%.  I was at a  dinner last night with WLS patients.  Band and others  typs and there was a women there who had gastric by pass and lost 170lbs  7 years ago and gain back 100 and is now having the band on top of her Gastric by pass.  Go figure  Any surgery requires work.  We are fat heads and will have to think about what we put in our mouths for the rest of our lives.

"SUCCESS IS A LIFESTYLE, NOT A DIET"
Please visit my OH  Support group:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/allinthemind/welcome/

Where you will find helpful strategies to achieve you goals

Highest 325.7lbs Surgery 295lbs Current 244lbs 

Kaz 3112
on 6/27/10 12:57 pm
I had my band fitted April 2006 and was begging to get it out after a year. I finally managed to get it out in May 2008.  It worked wonderfully for 9 problem-free months, altho it was a struggle because I was either under filled or over filled, never did find that sweet spot.

I followed my surgeon and food plan religiously. I was super compliant. I tried to meet my tool half way. Unfortunately i got Gastritis 5 times in 14 months. My surgeons said it was not the band causing the gastritis, but I sure had a lot of Bandster friends who also had Gastritis or were popping Omeprazole/Prilosec all the time. I endured 3 barium meals to check for slippages (never did have one) and was hospitalized with dehydration after not even being able to keep water down for 3 days - on an empty band.

I am looking forward to RNY and hope to have better PERSONAL success at that one. I do have a couple of friends who have successful bands, but they struggle with restriction and reflux.  If your band works for you, Great!!. If you have not had surgery yet, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!

All the Best, Karren

LaShelle2
on 6/27/10 3:25 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

I  Lve MY DS!

M M
on 6/27/10 10:14 pm
 Hey, YOU!  OUT OF THE THREAD!  
sharyn_pear
on 6/27/10 6:16 pm, edited 6/27/10 6:21 pm - Australia

Must admit I wasn't going to get into this but I will add my bit. I must say I am extremely happy with my band. In four years I have not had any problems and maintained under my goal weight for 2 1/2 years. My blood pressure remains in the normal range and my diabetes resolved after 6 months. In four years I have had three fills. That being said, we have been doing lapbanding here since 1994 and something like 90% of WLS is lapbanding. I will email my surgeon and ask him for the latest statistics as I don't have the motivation to trawl the net. You can find any study to say whatever you want. I do that all the time at work to argue a point.

I do think assessment for which WLS someone undergoes is vitally important. Lapbanding for someone who can't exercise or won't do the 'head work' to resolve psychological reasons for their obesity (for example) is just dumb. I hardly ever come to OH anymore, I'm too busy. Presently I have two weeks off work so have been coming in. I find it really disappointing that people cannot support each other whatever surgery they have.

Sharyn

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/10 9:44 pm - Woodbridge, VA
I'm not sure there's anything to "get into." All she did was post information - she didn't bash the band, nor did she say the band is NEVER successful (I haven't seen anyone say that at all). Studies and statistics are not one and the same - you do not have to conduct a study to gather statistics. And, no, despite many people believing so, you cannot find "any study to say whatever you want." I've often challenged people who say this to find me a study that shows that the RNY has a higher type 2 diabetes resolution rate than the DS - not the same, but higher. Amazingly enough, such a request is always either met with silence or a completely irrelevant response.

Despite your last comment, most people DO actually support those with different surgeries. Check my friends list - patients of every surgery type. Posting an informative article, even though some choose to read such as an attack for some reason, is still supportive - it's sharing information with those who are still researching or trying to decide between procedures. I would argue that it is the pointlessly defensive responses that generate the most animosity and tension on this board.

M M
on 6/27/10 10:15 pm
 This is just a new article from the latest ASMBS conference.  I have no interest in any one surgery.  :)  I am reposting EVERY article from ASMBS.