ASMBS: Gastric Banding Gets Low Marks

charleston-mom
on 7/1/10 5:32 am, edited 7/1/10 5:33 am
On July 1, 2010 at 11:23 AM Pacific Time, jillybean720 wrote:
But now you're comparing success and failure to complications or side effects - not the same thing.
It sure isn't! The whole point is that a lot of band patients are having severe side effects that have nothing to do with what they do or don't do. It's a problem with the band itself. Nothing remotely similar to not taking your vitamins or following what you are supposed to do. My band shredded. In pieces, in my stomach wall. Had to be dug out in pieces.

My recommendation to anyone pursuing weight loss surgery would probably be DS (if their insurance covers) or RNY. Both are good surgeries. Even though DS requires more diligence in terms of supplements, I think they both are tools that are very successful long-term. DS probably requires a little less work and stamina and willpower long-term, which might be helpful to some people. I think it is gaining favor with some physicians initially against it, but RNY is still done more and more accepted by insurers. I wouldn't recommend lapband to anyone.
charleston-mom
on 7/2/10 4:49 am, edited 7/2/10 4:50 am
This is actually not true Butterfly. You can do everything right and still have complications. It is utterly ridiculous to say that every person with band complications brought it on themselves and that they caused their complications and that is not borne out by any of the medical studies. Complications can happen with any of the surgeries even if you do everything right.

No need to make your font so big. It doesn't make what you are saying true, no matter how big or bold you make it. There are plenty of people with band complications caused by the actual band, not anything that they did or didn't do. As much as you would like to think you can control what will happen with your band, you may have an unhappy event.