Eating with a DS: A Day in the Life (pics!)

dogma2karma
on 6/21/10 11:00 am - Suburbia, CA
 The mini-ice cream cups refreeze just fine, FYI.

Um,  not that I know this from experience or anything, Cause I would never eat that gross amount of ice cream. 
259.5/227.5/122/118
8.5 months post DSNormal BMI, woohoo!
Bonnie R.
on 6/20/10 12:54 pm - Stratford, CT
Thank you so much for doing this!!!! I am sending this link to all my friends/family so they have a clue.

(deactivated member)
on 6/20/10 1:07 pm
 Thanks, Bonnie! I'm glad if it ends up being helpful in explaining to someone. 
Ms. Cal Culator
on 6/20/10 12:56 pm, edited 6/20/10 12:56 pm - Tuvalu
Tell me more about the latte.  I don't know anything about espresso or making lattes, so details please.

ETA...I am WAY more post-op than Jenna, and I could not eat that much at the meals.  I would, however, easily forage all day and consume the same quantites.  But as three, individual meals, I'd get full before finishing.

(deactivated member)
on 6/20/10 1:13 pm
 I have this: www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EC155-Espresso-Maker/dp/B000F49XXG/r ef=cm_lmf_tit_2, which I use to make the espresso shots. There are different makers and they all work a bit differently. I then let the espresso cool a bit, then pour it over ice and heavy cream. I add a shot of the SF caramel syrup, stir and enjoy. 

I'm glad you pointed that out about the volume. Although a few ounces in no way strikes me as a "massive amount" of food, I do need to eat my meals over the course of about 30 minutes. My surgeon also makes a slightly larger sleeve than some do. I know a lot of other DSers have more restriction than I do.

Nopenname
on 6/20/10 1:24 pm - Tacoma, WA
 when/if you get a machine I recommend getting like four bags of various espresso to turkish level grounds in tiny amounts (this is also fun because the checker looks at you like you are bat****) because one espresso grind sometimes works for one machine and doesn't for another. 

HW/ SW/ CW/ GW

453/380/160/165

I'm pretty sure bacon tastes as good as thin feels!
*Feel free to call me "Pen" or "Nic" I'll even answer to "hey you" *

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/10 3:15 am
(deactivated member)
on 6/20/10 1:15 pm
We picked up a nice espresso machine for $20 at goodwill a couple years back - fully functional, easy to use.  If you get one, post it to the board and someone will be happy to walk you through making something.  Very, very easy.
shele
on 6/20/10 10:20 pm
On June 20, 2010 at 7:56 PM Pacific Time, Ms. Cal Culator wrote:
Tell me more about the latte.  I don't know anything about espresso or making lattes, so details please.

ETA...I am WAY more post-op than Jenna, and I could not eat that much at the meals.  I would, however, easily forage all day and consume the same quantites.  But as three, individual meals, I'd get full before finishing.

AND that is exactly what happens to failed rny's! They get used to having to eat all through the day, and eventually the meals become a larger volume, and with little to no malasorption ... RE-GAIN happens!  And we are left thinking... what in the world ... how did this happen??

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Ms. Cal Culator
on 6/21/10 2:01 am - Tuvalu
On June 21, 2010 at 5:20 AM Pacific Time, shele wrote:
On June 20, 2010 at 7:56 PM Pacific Time, Ms. Cal Culator wrote:

AND that is exactly what happens to failed rny's! They get used to having to eat all through the day, and eventually the meals become a larger volume, and with little to no malasorption ... RE-GAIN happens!  And we are left thinking... what in the world ... how did this happen??

...and that's why when I revised from the band it was TO the DS.  And good thing, because I have post-weight-loss regain with the DS, but nothing like i'd have with the RnY.  (I have too many IRL friends who had the RnY and a VERY small percentage are still teeny little things.)  I had to go for the surgery that had the lowest long-term regain rates because I'm old, set in my ways, and a bit insane...and I knew that in the long term, *I* wasn't going to change, so I needed a surgery that would do all the work.

Alas, the DS doesn't do ALL the work, but I know that the self-control that the RnY requires post-op, combined with a SLEW of medical conditions involving taking prednisone (I get hungry thinking about it) in addition to disabling conditions that leave me loaded and on the sofa instead of moving even a little...I'd have gained a lot more.  The malabsorption is the only thing that is keeping me from being MO again....'cause it sure ain't my behavior!  LOL

Most Active