Eating with a DS: A Day in the Life (pics!)

Chad M.
on 6/21/10 4:28 am - Indianapolis, IN
No, I'm actually just having the espresso shots. They will be #3 and #4 for today. :P
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/10 4:33 am
How did I miss that you were being a smartass? That's like missing that chocolate is chocolate-flavored.

Can't brain today, I have the dumb.
Chad M.
on 6/21/10 4:35 am - Indianapolis, IN
Hold on now. I am not just smartass-flavored. That is like one of those hollow chocolate easter bunnies. I am solid milk smartass all the way through.
kirmy
on 6/21/10 1:26 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Thanks Jenna you rock!

I love your food choices.  I am still mighty pissed at "Gross woman" as she shall henceforth be known for all eternity.  Seriously are we not ALL fighting obesity without piling that steaming pile of neurotic judgment upon what is essentially a well balanced and moderate diet.

Perhaps we should all eat out of buttercups with hummingbird beaks from now on!

UG!  Well done my love. xx

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
Vida_Cambio
on 6/21/10 7:32 am
Hijack!

Wow your new avatar looks great.. you look so different.. Congrats on your success

Vida Cambio
                                        (Weight loss in progress)

Live Laugh Love
                     I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.   
  Highest Weight: 302  Started Researching WLS Weight : 275     Surgery Weight : 240 
                                          Current Weight : 175
                 GW : 164  Long term GW : 140

TheButterflye
on 6/21/10 1:23 am - Prince Georges County, MD
There are 50-11 pages of responses, so forgive me if this question has been posed.  Where do the "extras" go?  Do you umm, 'expel' at an increased rate?  They are there, so I am just trying to figure out WHAT a DS body does with it.

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/10 1:29 am - Yorktown, VA
We poop it out.  I poop once or twice a day, in the mornings.  It seems this is pretty normal for DSers.  I do think that my poops may be more voluminous now, but I'm not clogging toilets or anything!  :)
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/10 1:29 am, edited 6/21/10 1:39 am
That question has not been posed, and it's a good one. Every DSer responds differently to malabsorption, so I can only answer for myself. (This is about to get TMI.)

It does go right into the toilet. For me, this means that I have one really large bowel movement per day, every morning (my body has gotten attuned to a schedule). Although I only go once, it is very voluminous. Takes me about 10 minutes to "go" because of the volume.
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/10 1:48 am - Woodbridge, VA
The same place an RNYer's malabsorbed nutrients go - into the toilet! I have a much longer common channel than most DSers (closer to the amount of malabsorption of a proximal RNYer), but I just, umm, poop it out once a day. If I eat a bunch of foods I shouldn't be eating (read: crappy carbs), I may poop again, but normally, just once in the morning. Honestly, I think the amount of calcium and iron many of us take post-op, which are known to be potentially constipating, help to balance things out in this particular case. I know I was quite constipated for the first few months after surgery until I started eating more fat.
NormaBee
on 6/21/10 1:25 am
Very informative post, Jenna Lynn - and delicious! I think this post provides a practical and real insight into DS eating and will provide those interested with great information. I am one who wishes I had learned about the DS prior to having WLS surgery, so I commend you for putting this info out there.

However, even with my RNY, I have been fortunate not to have any issues with fat - I eat fairly similar types of food, a little less maybe, but am a strong believer in full fat in moderation approach - along with dense protein like steak, chicken, and eggs, it keeps my satiety levels high, makes me feel like I am not on a diet, and other than the first 10 days after my surgery, I have never been constipated. Plus, as long as I can eat my full-fat cheeses like Stilton, aged goudas, goat cheese, I will be happy the rest of my life!

Carbs were what made me gain weight at an astronomical rate - years of low-fat high-carb dieting did me in. Now, of course, I realize that, and every now and then when I have a bit of heavier carb day I notice how much hungrier I am. To me, carbs = evil, fat = good!

Now, when malabsorption wears off down the road for me, I may have issues and need to cut back on fats some, but for now, I'm happy.

Most Active