Eating with a DS: A Day in the Life (pics!)

GinaM
on 6/20/10 3:50 pm - Flagstaff, AZ
In no way does your food look like a "gross" abundance. In fact, it looks quite normal. As one person said, to a new RNY'r of COURSE it would be a lot. I notice though, those who have an issue with it........are all relatively new into their RNY journey and think imposed control is going to be on their side forever.

Lemme jus' say.......wait until 4 to 5 years out when they too can eat way more "normal" amounts of food and every. darn. day. is. a. struggle.

I'm holdin my own at 140 pounds with 130 having been lost. Have not gone through the normal rebound weight gain.....but that's because I crazy fight it.

If a DS would have made my life a little easier......I'd have signed up! Just sayin!
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/10 12:14 am
Thank you for the perspective from someone farther out. Kudos on your incredible loss and having maintained it for so long. I have friends who are several years out from a variety of WLSes, and I know from watching them that it can be an uphill battle at times.

gigi _
on 6/20/10 4:31 pm, edited 6/20/10 4:32 pm - Kitsap Peninsula, WA
Jenna, I think your thread is fantastic!

I am gobsmacked by the folks who claim that they never ate the same quantity (didn't you say less than 9 oz spread over more than half an hour?) even before wls.   That just does not make sense to me.  Maybe they didn't eat the same high fat foods, but to say they always ate less than 9 oz per meal?  I really have a hard time with that. 

Anyway, I think your post is very educational and I am all for spreading the truth about DS so that EVERYONE who is thinking about WLS can make an informed decision.

I know it took a lot of your time to do this, but if you ever have the time and desire to do it again I think it would be incredibly great and beneficial. 

Kudos to you!
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/10 1:15 am
Thanks, I'm really glad you found it useful. Maybe I'll do it again sometime. It was fun for me too.
Alli Gator
on 6/20/10 5:51 pm - Olive Bayou
I can eat close to 4,000 calories a day.  There are some DS'ers eating much more than this!!!
Valerie G.
on 6/20/10 9:49 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
And you owe us a new avatar, Alli.  That pic of you is a year old or more!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Alli Gator
on 6/20/10 11:07 pm - Olive Bayou
I know it.  I just haven't gotten around to doing it.

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/10 12:24 am
Thanks, Alli. There are definitely some DS folks who eat less, and those who eat more. One of the interesting things about our surgery is how variable our stomach sizes are.

I have certainly seen both smaller and larger appetites firsthand with DSers I know IRL!
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/10 3:33 am
nightowl
on 6/20/10 6:44 pm - Topeka, KS
Wow.  I know that took a lot of work, Jenna.  Thank you so much.  You da (wo)man!  I will bookmark this to possibly refer others to it in the future.
Most Active