Clear Liquid Diet and Protein

(deactivated member)
on 4/11/10 10:31 am - HI
Any suggestions on how to get some protein during the pre-op clear liquid diet. I started today and am beginning to feel a little shaky. All I have had to eat so far is 2 servings of jello. I tried beef and chicken broth but didn't like the taste.
debbie13
on 4/11/10 10:51 am, edited 4/11/10 10:51 am - Cossayuna, NY
Are you sure that your pre-op liquid diet is supposed to be all clear liquids? Call your surgeons office and verify exactly what you are supposed to be doing. It doesn't seem right that they would want you starving yourself for two weeks. Clear liquids have very little nutrition. If it is all clear liquids then the only clear liquid protein source that I am aware of is ISOPURE. There may be others but I am not sure.
(deactivated member)
on 4/11/10 11:40 am - HI
On April 11, 2010 at 5:51 PM Pacific Time, debbie13 wrote:
Are you sure that your pre-op liquid diet is supposed to be all clear liquids? Call your surgeons office and verify exactly what you are supposed to be doing. It doesn't seem right that they would want you starving yourself for two weeks. Clear liquids have very little nutrition. If it is all clear liquids then the only clear liquid protein source that I am aware of is ISOPURE. There may be others but I am not sure.
Not 2 weeks, just 2 days. Surgery is on Tuesday. They call it a "bowel prep"
UNJURY
on 4/12/10 4:29 am - Sterling, VA

Our Strawberry Sorbet, Chicken Soup, and Unflavored varieties are compatible with Clear Liquid Diets, and all give you protein, not jus****er with flavor.

Be alert for instructions the the 8 or 12 ours immediately prior to surgery...the directions might be more restrictive at that point...
And always, if it doubt, check with your surgeon's office.

Kind regards
Jerome
UNJURY (R) Protein and OPURITY (tm) Vitamins

poet_kelly
on 4/11/10 11:36 am - OH
Clear protein drinks like Isopure or Cytosport.  You can also add unflavored protein powder to your broth.  Broth by itself has very little protein in it.

Kelly
DesertMommas
on 4/11/10 11:46 am
RNY on 04/06/10 with
I had to do the same prep for my surgery, but i was allowed popsicles and my protein drink. I was confused at first and called my doc, he said the clear liquid also included my protein drink. You should call your surgeon and ask.

(deactivated member)
on 4/11/10 2:29 pm - HI
On April 11, 2010 at 6:46 PM Pacific Time, DesertMommas wrote:
I had to do the same prep for my surgery, but i was allowed popsicles and my protein drink. I was confused at first and called my doc, he said the clear liquid also included my protein drink. You should call your surgeon and ask.
Thanks! Just got off the phone with my surgeon and you were right I am drinking a protein drink right now.
M M
on 4/11/10 11:07 pm