Why does the smell of fried chicken make me wanna hurl?

solise
on 2/16/10 10:58 pm - Brooklyn, NY
Pre op, fried chicken smothered in ketchup and hot sauce was my favorite food. in fact, I ate it EVERY day. I ordered 1/2 fried chicken and french fries from the local chinese takeout place, and I would eat it ALL plus a snack. theres no question in my mind now how it is that I came to weigh 343 lbs.
yesterday I made fried chicken wings for my son. I decided that he doesnt  have a weight problem so I shouldnt stop him from eating the foods he loves. I never fry anything, but this was a once in a hile treat for him. EVERY time I open the refrigerator I could hurl my insides from the smell. How could that be? I used to love the smell and taste of fried chicken. this seems soooooo odd. 

*Solise*
  2 years, 3 months out from my RNY     

mkbeany
on 2/16/10 11:11 pm
I hear ya. Grease of any type does not smell good to me anymore. I think once you stop eating it- it loses its appeal.

It definitely has for me.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
MyLady Heidi
on 2/16/10 11:19 pm
I was never a huge fan of fried foods even MO, definately the sweets and carbs that got me where I was, but now I can't stand the smell of fried anything, it makes me just as queasy as the smell of coffee.  There are so many foods I cannot eat now just based on the smell.  Lately everything is smelling really bad, it seems like I can smell peoples breath, I don't know why my sense of smell is so strong for some things and not others but this has been one of the odder sides of wls for me.

Hugs Heidi

Jennifer H.
on 2/16/10 11:22 pm - stockton, CA
Makes me do the same and befor it never bothered me!

May my Angles rest in peace.....
Born April 24,2011 Bethanie Marie passed April 25,2011 and Grace Anne passed May 6,2011
pregnancy calendar

ACasteel
on 2/16/10 11:23 pm - Haleyville, AL
I agree, fried foods make me want to hurl too.  Bacon and eggs smell makes me want to move and never come back.   I really have an aversion to anything breakfast lately.  I can't really do cereal and milk because I think it makes me have mild dumping.  The thought of eggs, cottage cheese, anything else that I might eat for breakfast is disgusting.  I can eat later in the day but I need to get back in the breakfast routine.  This reminds me of being pregnant, the smells of fried foods always made me sick then.   

Batwingsman
on 2/16/10 11:28 pm - Garland, TX
 b/c you didn't have the DS???   

Before my surgery, I wasn't all that big of an eater of fried chicken, but loved it afterward ..  The one thing that would make me hurl though was "grilled" chicken ..  Totally bland and tasted like cardboard .. 

Our tastes can change radically after WLS, esp. during those first few months out ..    Many post-ops are very sensitvie to the "chemical" smells and tastes in food and drink, even tap waterr.  Oddly enough, I could not eat out of plastic dishes or utensils until almost a year out, b/c of the horrible smells (and even "taste") of it ..  I could only drink out of real glass and eat out of porcelain (or china) dishes and bowls ..

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

So Blessed!
on 2/16/10 11:59 pm

It's the grease.
blueyezndevilsh
on 2/17/10 2:43 am
I cant stand the smell of any kind of grease.  Ground beef cooking just about does me in!!!
ReinaDeAlcantara
on 2/18/10 1:30 am - Bronx, NY
Ohhh don't get me started. I was the same way, I loved ketchup & hot sauce or soy sauce, duck sauce and hot sauce on my chinese chicken wings. I went in to get my son an egg roll and had to run right out!!! I was dry heaving so bad I thought my stomach was going to shrivel up.

And if I visit my mom's house, I strangely love the smell of steak she makes in the oven but once she turns on the oil to fry french fries I spend an hour in the bathroom trying to work thru my nausea.

It seems we will never be eating chinese food again, well at least not fried chicken. 
Highest weight 10/19/2005  427 lbs
1st Consult on 3/30/2009    402 lbs
Bypass on 1/27/2010          358 lbs
18 months post op               172 lbs
After Hernia repair and Panni  160 lbs

Most Active