Infamous Ds misinformation

Bonamy
on 2/10/10 11:45 pm - Wyoming County, NY

I get what you are saying. To me ghrelin reduction is the most wonderful fabulous part of the surgery.  You have been DS five years, did you ever have carb cravings preop and if so do you still feel as if hunger and eating is normal and not driven by craving?   Preop I felt like a never satisfied bottomless pit of hunger and the slightest slip was a landside into thousands of carbs.

For almost a year now I have been the only VSG in a sea of RNYs at my surgeons support meetings and in explaining my surgery I was really suprised by the number that would say VSG would not work for them because they felt they needed dumping to st ay away from "bad foods". 

I have fried fish, fried chicken or cookies occasionally but no where near as frequently or what I was capable of preop volume-wise.  It is so easy to stop at a small amout but I never would have though that before the surgery. 

HW 365/SW321                                                        Walk or Run 200 miles in 2010 

Lori Black
on 2/10/10 5:01 pm - , IN
Bonamy,

You sound almost as if you could've done this WITHOUT weight loss surgery.  Good for you that you've lost so much and so quickly to boot.  May I point out that you are still in the Cinderella phase?  Let me know how things are going in two years.  It's a constant and daily struggle for me to make good food choices, EVEN with the DS!!!!  It was soooo easy in the early months, but trust me old habit slip back in easily.  I'm not saying that you won't be successful....but your tone is annoying.  You didn't get fat eating the foods you have been since your VSG, right? (I guess I could be assuming).

For the record, I do NOT and have not EVER since surgery, eaten what I did as a preop.  I eat VERY few simple carbs!!!  And before surgery I ate everything in the low-fat, cardboard flavor section at the store.  Now I eat REAL butter, REAL cream, REAL meat with fat, REAL cheese...no more low fat "diet" type foods.  But I do low carb and have most of my journey as a DSer.  To think that we don't change our eating habits post DS is just crazy talk.
Bonamy
on 2/10/10 10:48 pm - Wyoming County, NY

The annoying tone was a reflection of how I felt on what I perceived as attitude that the DS is the only surgery where you could eat "guilt free" and not have to "get right" with food.  My original feelings were way more annoying, I edited it down to being rather mild before hitting the post button.

Two terms  "guilt free"  and "get right" are triggers and set me off.   I realize I am early out and may need to eat my words some day but I truly hated the hold that sugar had over my moods and that feels chemically fixed with the reduction of ghrelin.  I was a bingeing sugar addict my entire life.  It started with cereal and Saturday morning cartoons.  I watched hours of TV with the box next to me for refills.

Obesity runs in my family, I have pictures from the 1920s of 400lbs grand aunts, grand uncles and cousins were as obese as I was with thin parents and moms that cook healthy.  I have several metabolic issues that contributed to my weight, all of which are now resolved:

Anemia - frequent lack of energy to exercise
Hypothyroid/Hashimoto  - slow metabolism and lack of energy
Reactive hypoglycemia  - intense sugar cravings 

Ghrelin sucks, and I love living with less of it.  I wish I had my levels tested preop because I would be willing to wager that mine were in the 95th percentile or greater.

HW 365/SW321                                                        Walk or Run 200 miles in 2010 

kirmy
on 2/10/10 6:57 pm - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Wait a second we've had the same surgery except my bowels were rearranged as well.  I don't eat the same as I did pre-DS.  Before I was a compulsive eater whom ate until she was physically incapable of moving.  I now have little to no appetite and the food choices I make now come from quite visceral cravings for meat and high fat dairy.  I am listening to my body and giving her what she wants.

As for having an healthy attitude towards food...I've been dieting since I was 9 years old.  I can tell you how many calories are in dish washing powder!  I have lost and gained 12 stone every 5 years, in between been a successful mountaineering person climbed the worlds tallest mountain, walked the entire length of Scotland etc etc.  I am more nutritionally aware than 90% of people on this board because I needed to tailor my intake to extreme sports or extreme dieting. 

This surgery allows me to stop that.  All I have to do is be mindful of my carbs and not eat crap every day as I did before but rather once or twice a week.  With my restricted appetite and cravings for protein this is not an issue.  If it becomes an issue I'll deal with it as well.

My attitude towards food has been blighted by compulsion and fear.  For the first time in the history of my life I don't acquaint eating with pressure and negativity.  I love the food I eat.  I respect my body and the war is finally over. 

I never suggested you were deprived because of your choices.  But I would be, which is why I made the choice to include malabsorption in my surgery.  This allows me to eat for high impact sports and body building and other activities I will joyfully get back into ASAP.

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
Bonamy
on 2/10/10 11:13 pm - Wyoming County, NY
Thanks Kirmy, it was not your post that set me off  other posts perhaps not even on this thread suggest non-DSers are deprived starving dieters.

I did not mean it to come across as negative toward DS at all.  I was trying to explain my attitude about food choices since my surgery.

Corrina Everson was my idol in the 80's, six consecutive Ms. Olympia titles.  I worked out two hours a day six days a week in 1985 to try to look like her.  I was getting there on the muscle but never got below 180 on the weight. 

There was never a woman body builder before or after that balanced beauty with fitness in such a perfect way.  Who is your favorite do you follow the professionals now?  You seem too young for Cory.

kirmy
on 2/10/10 11:20 pm - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Sarah Jane Smith from Terminator...he he hee I wanted those arms.  I am still the jar opener of the house.

Bronwen
on 2/12/10 5:36 am - Wilmington, DE
Sarah Jane Smith was from Dr. Who!  Sarah Connor was from the Terminator.

Sarah Jane Smith was kinda kick-ass for her day, though, I'll give you that!
sw:298/cw:152/no goal set
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."  --J.K. Rowling,  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

kirmy
on 2/12/10 5:37 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
****!  No I'm tough under pressure just like Sarah Jane Smith...but I want Sarah Connors arms...phewwwwww that was close.  How does my hair look?

Bronwen
on 2/12/10 5:50 am - Wilmington, DE
Gorgeous, Darling, just like the rest of you.

Now that the delicious David Tennant is done being the Doctor, I don't know if I'm going to watch it anymore.  I'm still pouting.
sw:298/cw:152/no goal set

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."  --J.K. Rowling,  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

kirmy
on 2/12/10 5:52 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Another sexy Scott!  Yeh his replacement is a wee slip of a creature.  I'm not sold at all on him.

Most Active