Infamous Ds misinformation

kirmy
on 2/10/10 5:49 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Evening folks!

Here are some fabulous bits of misinformation being bandied about by bait and don't switch surgeons and some members of this board and others.  After spending over 7 months religiously researching these "issues" I'd like to dispel some of them for those considering the DS but fearful they'll end up sitting in their own **** jabbering with protein malnutrition.

To start with every surgery advertised here has casualties.  Go to the revision board and tell me otherwise (and I'll poke you in the eye for being a git).  The DS has a minimal mortality rate especially considering the nature of the surgery which requires stitching into the tender and fragile large bowel which likes to bleed.  It is a complex surgery requiring a very skilled and capable surgeon which is why so few do it and why the easy option is often preferred by some surgeons unable to meet the rigors demands of retraining and taking time away from a profitable business doing RNY and Lapbands.

So the fabby misinformation:

1. DSers have to squat over a toilet up to 10 times a day as their insides cascade out in a froth of vile diarrhea that will cause birds to drop dead from the sky.

No!  Actually I **** once a day and I'm a baby DSer so technically my arse should be on explosive fire.  If you have severe diarrhea then you likely have osmotic diarrhea from large bowel edema and you need medical intervention ASAP.  If you don't have C-difficele then you may have crohn's or another debilitating inflammatory disease.  A biopsy will tell you and medications will help.    During the first month of having a DS you should have frequent bowel motions as the internal bowel swelling subsides and your stools will turn into proper poo not cappachino froth.  I can remember two DS board members that were plagued by C-Difficele that returned multiple times.  There is always an inherent risk of hospital acquired infection but hopefully this should be minimal.

2. DSers smell really bad...like a smell comes out of their skin.....

Well I don't and I'd kick you in the snatch for suggesting it! Keytosis is normal especially during the honeymoon massive weight loss at the beginning.  Your sweat and breath can smell sour if you don't keep up regular hydration and flush your system out like an old car radiator.  If you are stinking it's because you need to use a good deodorant and chew some mint leaves!  This is the same for RNY, VSG .  For the love of God SHOWER!

3. DSers eat only fat and meat...and are real pigs....

Doesn't being hungry make you into a *****  WEll I eat **** loads of meat and shed loads of butter on my potato's or my veggies.  I put real full fat cream in my coffee and eat the crackling off a pig like it's the last meal I'll ever have.  Nothing is getting stuck, my arse isn't falling out as a result and my cholesterol is down so low I could be a new born baby! I've been losing 1lb a day since surgery and I've barely moved off the couch!  DON'T HATE ME CAUSE YA AIN'T ME!

4. DSers are real mean.....

Hmmm well I'm not adverse to tearing you a new arse hole if you accuse me of all the above and tell scared newbies that they'll die a hideous death from the DS.  Otherwise I'll have a laugh with you and watch your back if your nice.  I'll even be your angel when your ready for your revision to a DS and make sure you get all the help you need.  Since expressing my wish to have the DS I've had offers of money to help me pay for it when it looked like all hope was lost, offers to fly to the UK to look after me post op, a legion of folks phoning and checking on my welfare and protein powder arriving in the mail.  I am still shocked at the open hearted care and warmth I've received from the DS folk.  They aren't mean but they won't take **** either....which me likes!

5. I know someone who died of the DS...just shriveled up and died...

Yeh I know someone who died of the RNY, I nursed someone who died of the lap band after severe erosion and varicies, I also know someone who died of protein malnutrition form the old style stomach stapling.  Some people will die due to complications from this surgery, some will die because of their co-mobilities which make a general anesthetic deadly.  The statistics don't show a mortality rate any higher than the RNY infact taken in isolation for my surgeon it is slightly less...but that could be due to the skill of the surgeons required to undertake this operation.

You will not die from having the DS.  You may die if you have a bad surgeon and bad aftercare and don't take your vitamins (I take 14).

What ever surgery you have you should know that there are more than three options.  If you are fed misinformation you should consider the motives behind it.  If you are actively spreading misinformation then understand that you are removing from some people the ability to be finally free from compulsion and life threatening obesity.  Choices ned to be informed...all of them!

Warmest regards...paying it forwards!
Kirmy!!!

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
(deactivated member)
on 2/10/10 6:13 am - Yorktown, VA
I love a good British sense of humor!  (One of my dearest friends lives across the pond.)
kirmy
on 2/10/10 6:18 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
hello!

Valerie G.
on 2/10/10 6:15 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Allow me to add to the list....

DSers have malnutrition problems
A DSer has malnutrition problems only as badly as a RNY, and like the RNY, if one is on top of their vitamins, checking their nutritional levels annually (or more if necessary) and taking in the 100g of protein (either by food or *gag* protein drinks), they will live a happy and healthy life.  My comprehensive test results came in this year and my PCP exclaimed that I was one of the healthiest of ALL the patients she has.

DSers have uncontrollable, noxious gas all the time
Totally untrue.  Most gas is contributed to 3 root causes:  simple carbs, lactose intolerance, and artificial sweeteners.  Just like RNY, avoid these and you avoid most gas altogether. 

DSers are bound to eventually have heart problems because they eat so much fat
The reason we eat so much fat is because we malabsorb 80+% of it.  Fat is necessary for proper bowel function, so without enough of it, we're bound to be constipated.  Also, because we malabsorb so much, our bodies aren't absorbing the cholesterol either.  As a pre-op, I was on the low end of high cholesterol (does that make sense).  Today, my cholesterol is 128.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

kirmy
on 2/10/10 6:22 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Oh I forgot those ones!

Thank you Valerie.....my little fat eating strumpet!  And I'm sure you're scurvy and rickets have improved as well!

Yeh we don't tend to get malnutrition unless we are non compliant with vits and protein. 

Hey Jules
on 2/10/10 6:16 am
 Excellent info, Kirmy!

I'm not sure exactly, but I have a strange feeling that my surgeon implanted a back bone while performing my DS. I feel happier, stronger and more confident than I ever have been! 

LoveMyDS-1.jpg picture by heyjules77    

brokenwings.jpg image by heyjules77

5'8", 150cm C.C. - HW 289/SW 275/CW 150/GW 164      I  my DS!!!

Valerie G.
on 2/10/10 6:17 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I think mine implanted some bawls, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

kirmy
on 2/10/10 6:23 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
hmmm mine implanted a mustache the *******must go and wax that baby soon!

Hey Jules
on 2/10/10 6:39 am
He does have that reputation. I'm surprised no one told you about Dr. Patel, the infamous mustache mavin!

brokenwings.jpg image by heyjules77

5'8", 150cm C.C. - HW 289/SW 275/CW 150/GW 164      I  my DS!!!

Sarah B.
on 2/10/10 6:27 am - Plymouth Meeting, PA
Oh Julie, I LOVE that DS graphic! Can I steal it for my siggy?
Century Club: 3.14.10 ~ ONEderland 4.28.10 ~ Normal BMI & 150 Pounds Lost: 7.25.10

(HW 317 / SW 301 / GW 169 / CW 144 & LOVING my DS! / 5' 9")
Most Active