Warning: Is OH Sharing our info w/ Facebook Now?

LaShelle2
on 1/21/10 12:04 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
I see the marketing has already changed directions.   I see one from the dating site PlentyOfFish.com on here.    Not saying the OH owners dont have a right to make a few bucks, but is there a limit? 

I have made my profile private.  I am saddened because I am sure it was a help to some people somewhere along the way that saw it and was informed or inspired.  I guess I was just a little to naive thinking this was a safe place for us fatties and former fatties.

I don't know what the probability of someone I know randomly getting a link to somethng on her ewith me in it, but we all know it's BIGsmall world.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

trish_the_dish
on 1/21/10 10:59 am - Fairborn, OH

This is a PUBLIC MESSAGE BOARD, all content here is public and already searchable in Google.  There is no need to get in an uproar about this, if you don't want someone to read what you have posted, then don't post it.  Simple as that.  This site is here for support and not for invasion of privacy, it is to help others with their WLS questions and support.  Every site you visit already has these share buttons, I personally don't see what the big deal is. 

xoxoxo,
Trish
PhatMom
on 1/21/10 11:10 am
"...if you don't want someone to read what you have posted, then don't post it.  Simple as that.  This site is here for support and not for invasion of privacy, it is to help others with their WLS questions and support."

So...how is linking a place for 'support' for the obese with a social network helpful?

From here on out, even if we need support, we must weigh reaching out for that help with the possibility of someone slapping it all over Twitter or Facebook.

-Danelle
5'0 --HW 205/SW-199/GW-125/CW-107
Goal Weight MET: 2/11/09!!

Starting BMI between 35 and 40?
Visit the OH
Lightweights Board!

My best friend gave me the best advice
He said each day's a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride
MSW will not settle
on 1/21/10 11:10 am, edited 1/21/10 11:11 am
I sent an inquiry to member services but I believe we already know the answer.  Sure everything on line is public but there is a difference between a thread included in a thousand hits on a search engine and posting threads onto facebook. 

This is like taking an AA meeting and televising it.  AA holds a public  meeting in a public space where confidences are shared.  Many OHers will be less inclined to share experiences than are now easily networked.  Some are already deleting posts and going private with profiles, myself included.  I know I will sensor anything I write going forward. 

Its ashame.  The trolls will be pouncing along with other wls haters.  I've learned a lot from people willing to share very personal experiences.  However, we can no longer share openly with confidence.

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

Chad65
on 1/21/10 11:24 am - San Angelo, TX
I don't think the people that are my friends on face book would understand unless they live thru being fat.  I don't print anything on here that I would not tell someone to their face, so I am good with it.
Sig.jpg picture by Haku2you    
JEllen
on 1/21/10 11:25 am - Capital Region, NY
When was this change implemented? I don't recall seeing these share buttons before...
Kathleen T.
on 1/21/10 11:31 am
(deactivated member)
on 1/21/10 11:32 am - Sweet Dreams lives in , PA
I am just trying to figure out WHAT the purpose of the share button is on a WLS site? I for the life of me can't think of one reason I would want to share a thread or pics from this site with anyone else...and I am a pretty open person.

Only thing I can see happening is the unstable people on this site...some that masquerade as trolls having ease of access and the ability to try to tie people in the virtual world with their real world.  I can see them linking and sharing profiles and sending them to peoples jobs or other businesses that they have inadvertently found out people frequent.  Their insignificant lives have been in essence given a new means of getting attention.

All this new function is going to do is SHUT people down!!! which is counterproductive. I mean this is not a social networking site as its main purpose....in one regard there is A LOT of HIPAA information on here that folks share.  Naked surgery pics and such.  Some folks are not technologically savvy and do not know that they are at risk as it is....now that risk has increase exponentially.  Yes...most of us have known that our info has been accessible BUT it has NEVER been this accessible before.

I am more upset with the fact that the toggle buttons JUST appeared without any warnings or alerts to let us know that a change was coming.

I don't know.....I am not feeling OH today. Just not a good decision IMHO...in light of the population that it serves.
Plum1967
on 1/21/10 12:00 pm
HIPAA????  OH isn't a medical provider and isn't bound by HIPAA.  Any such information is posted by the person themselves... on a PUBLIC website.

Anyone that would be so inclined to use information as you've stated, would most likely already be doing so with the cut and paste option.

It really isn't anything new... it just has a new look to it.

~wendy

I've partnered with Team In Training to raise funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

If you want to help fight blood cancers, please consider donating at http://pages.teamintraining.org/nj/rnr12/wnystrom.

Thank you for your support!

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/10 12:24 pm - Sweet Dreams lives in , PA
I know they are not a freaking medical provider BUT its the SAME information! its sensitive...even though people put it out here. You are totally missing the point.   I know it does not matter and I can tal****il I am blue in the face.  We shall see what happens...you and a few others will probably be here chatting with yourselves  if they keep that mess on here.
Most Active