unsuccessful lap band

Bonamy
on 1/5/10 10:01 am - Wyoming County, NY

Have they checked for leaks?

I agree with getting the records sent, you should not feel bad about it.

It is your life and your health you need followup from a surgeon that can help you.

Are there medical issues or just no restriction? 

Give the new surgeon a chance before making the decision to remove the band.  Ultimately that decision is yours not your husbands.  Make your decision, express your decision and he needs to respect that. 

HW 365/SW321                                                        Walk or Run 200 miles in 2010 

mkbeany
on 1/5/10 10:28 am
I was banded 2 and a half years ago. I lost 25 pounds then gained 30. After multiple fills, unfills and barium swallows (and many tears shed) I revised to RNY.

I have cried over the 2 years of my life that I wasted but I know I have a 5 year old daughter to raise so I made the decision to remove it and revise.

Do some research, check your options and move forward, Babe.

It is all we can do.

Take care!
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
Bette B.
on 1/5/10 10:40 am
Chabela - don't feel bad about asking for your records.  As mentioned, your new doc should be able to have you just sign a request and have your file sent to him.

However, before you decide to put yourself through another surgery, give your new doc the chance to evaluate why your band isn't working for you and what non-surgical options you may have. Who knows - she may have just the answer you need!

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

theresa R.
on 1/5/10 11:15 am, edited 1/5/10 11:16 am - Van Wert, OH
 Im just curious as to why your husband thinks you should have your band removed...is he wanting you to revise, or just be "done" with WLS?  Personally, if I was going to go through with having surgery to have the band removed, I sure would opt for a revision,,,,surgery for nothing would suck? Do you have any symptoms of a band slip, being to tight?
If the band isnt working for you, then change it...if you were taking an antibiotic that wasnt working to cure your illness, then you would ask the doctor for something else...same goes for weightloss...I love MY band, but i dont have tunnel vision when it comes to WLS...there are some awesome alternatives out there for everyone,  Best of Luck finding yours

Theresa R. =)
LapBand Surgery $13,950-2 Year Gym Membership $795.-TummyTuck&Lip0 $9950.00
Seeing those skinny bitches from High School and never
looking better---$PRICELESS

walter A.
on 1/5/10 12:52 pm - lafayette, NJ
Chabella, how about if you go over the bridge to a real hospital like NYPresbyterian, or columbian, or lenox hill , or mt sinai who do all three surgeries, and get a expert opinion ,,, at cornell/presbyteryan, they teach all the jearsey doc how to do the band and rny, go to the experts and get it done right,  you cannot get a ds in NJ...except Greenbaum in cherry hill, heck your only 30 mins away from real hospitals. I travel all the way from the north west, 70 miles for care at presb and nyu .  a lot of good doc inbetween, but the best are at the far end.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 1/5/10 1:37 pm - Tuvalu

The band OFTEN leaves people in this situation, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger.  Why does your husband want it out...are you suffering through not being able to eat "healthy food" and still not losing weight?  Are you vomiting a lot?

Do you know what your BMI is now?  

If you are still morbidly obese, you might want to consider another approach.  I had my band removed at the same time I had the DS done.  There are many of us on the DS board who were previously banded. 

Come on by and tell us you're there.  You will be welcomed and nobody will try to tell you to "work your tool."  We don't have "tools."  We have bacon!

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/board_id,5357/

zsflower
on 1/7/10 11:28 am - Elk Grove, CA

I don't usually post on this board, but this really frosts my cookies!!!!  I hate to see people blame themselves for a failed WLS.  It's not your fault honey.  And don't be like me and let your surgeon try to convince you it is your fault.  My surgeon blamed me!  Why?..well because that's the only surgery he does and can't give me anything else. 

Of course he can't blame himself or the band, so that left me!  I SUFFERED with my band for about 4 years too long!  (Had my band for 6 years).  I finally found a good surgeon that offered me help and converted to a distal RnY.  I haven't felt better and have lost much more weight than I ever did with the band.  And to add insult to injury...my first "surgeon" put my freakin band ON my esophagus!  Needless to say, I've suffered problems with my esophagus ever since!  I'm still undergoing treatment with it!

Hang in there and don't give up!  You can have one of the revision surgeries and you will do great!  Find a surgeon that you like and can offer you ALL the options and make an appointment and get that band checked.  Go from there.  I wish you the BEST! 

Sandy Johnston
Patient Care Coordinator
aLighterMe.com

Getaway_Girl
on 1/5/10 9:40 am - Montclair , NJ
OMG... you had surgery with the one doctor, I did not like.

EEwww... did not like that man's demeanor. Thought him to be very cold and impersonal. Seemed more concerned about being paid for the surgery, than its success.

I would say, try a new doctor,... new nutritionist. I would highly recommend my doctor and his staff.

Maybe too, try that '5 day pouch diet' or the 10 weight surgery diet... to jump start your weight loss. But dont give up...Youll have to super analyze your behavior. try Fitday.com to track your food intake. Maybe try toexercise in short intense spurts, than long sessions... for few weeks. Maybe that will help. But dont give up...

Most Active