unsuccessful lap band

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/10 9:33 am
What can I do if lap band has been unsuccessful? No weight lost at all in 4 years with fills every two or three months. I feel guilty because I haven't been able to maintain a diet once more in my life and I haven't been motivated for exercises as usually. I went to new doctor last year and she told me to get my records from my original surgeon but I felt bad to go there and ask them for my medical records. My husband wants me to have my band removed. I'm  confused. Please help me!!
(deactivated member)
on 1/5/10 9:40 am
First off, know that you're not alone.  I'm in the process of a revision to a DS.  The band isn't for everyone.  As far as your records, you don't have to go to the doctor's office yourself.  Your new doctor should have a 'records release' form that you can fill out and they will fax it to your other doctor.  As for your husband, IMHO, I'm not sure, but if he's in support of you revising, he's a gem and is only looking out for your best interest.  If the band isn't working, do something else.  Some of us follow all of the rules, and it still doesn't work.  Sometimes it's not us that fails, it's the band that fails.
larra
on 1/5/10 9:41 am - bay area, CA

I have no personal experience with the band, perhaps people who do will have some suggestions. I can tell you that, on the DS forum, we're seeing a fair number of people who have not had success with the band get their band removed and get revised to the DS. So you are not alone, and revision is an option you could consider.
    Come on over to the DS forum and ask about fellow lap banders who now have the DS. It may be the right answer for you. And by all means get your medical records, they are your records and you are entitled to them. And if you do want revision, any surgeon you consult with will want to see them.

Larra

walterswife
on 1/5/10 9:44 am
Please don't give up on your dream of becoming healthier.  Many others have had unsucessful surgery the first time around.

You might want to consider a revision to RNY.  I think you may also be able to revise to a DS.  Why not post on the revision, RNY and DS Boards?

Best to you.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

walterswife
on 1/5/10 10:57 am
OK Walter

Finally got the joke!!!  The anesthesia has fried my brain.

walterswife
on 1/5/10 9:52 am
Walter, I didn't realize you were married to Chabela. 

walter A.
on 1/5/10 12:44 pm - lafayette, NJ
wouldnt have a band either,   I went for one and learned that I couldnt have either and was sent to NYC for a DS,,, very long story,
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/5/10 9:54 am
Don't kick yourself over this, it's not your fault. If you read the medical studies, you'd see you have lots of company. Many folks who followed the rules, gave it their best shot, and just didn't make it with a band for whatever reason. Many revise and go on to lose the weight and regain their health. There are lots of folks on the DS board who are revisions from failed bands (and RNYs) rocking their new DS, and they are good at answering questions.
andrea73
on 1/5/10 9:52 am
Are you eating the way your nut recommends?  I know you said you have a hard time with diets, but are you trying to follow the plan?  As you know, with the band every calorie you consume is absorbed.  

As for exercise, you have to do it, especially with the band.  No one likes it at first.  But if you make it a habit, it will become a part of your life.  And don't forget the weight training.  There are great DVD's you can do at home with hand weights.

You sound very confused.  Take a good look at your situation and decide if you have failed the band through your behavior or if the band has honestly failed you.

If you are unable to follow the dietary plan, then maybe a revision to a surgery with malabsorption such is best.

8.5 CC in my 11 CC Band

Most Active