BIG MEDICINE One-Hour Special to Air Nov. 18, 9PM Eastern on Discovery Health!

M M
on 10/26/09 2:55 am
This should work, I hope?  http://www.meltingmama.net/wls/2009/10/obesity-help-ny-event -2009-photos-video.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/meltingmama/sets/72157622662619554/

Kimberly_Taylor
on 10/26/09 3:24 am
Yep, that worked!  Beth, you have a great photographic eye!  Wow!  Cool!
Lisa H.
on 10/25/09 11:42 am, edited 10/25/09 11:42 am - Whitehall, PA
Me too me too!  He was so nice! love the show!

Photobucket

My tracker

hers 

ericson414
on 10/25/09 1:52 pm - Harlingen, TX
I got to hear and meet Dr. Garth and Mary Jo back in June at the OH Event in Chicago. If it wasn't for Big Medicine  I don't think I would have had my gastric bypass. I have already marked my calendar and will also tape it so I can watch it again. I bought season one on DVD and will be watching for season two.
Terri 

Century Card 150 lbs Lost

had_enuf
on 10/25/09 7:24 pm, edited 10/25/09 7:26 pm - East Bay, CA
Kimberly,
Dr. Garth Davis's OH profile now says he will be doing the DS starting January 2010. Can you confirm that?

Judy                   HW359/Consult288/SW275          

Kimberly_Taylor
on 10/26/09 2:05 am
Yes, that's the plan!  Both Drs. Davis are set to do proctoring to be "official" on the training in the next month or so.  

In addition to clinical excellence, Dr. John Husted's former clinical director, Jamie Carr, is our clinical director at The Davis Clinic, so we have one of the best RNs in the country that understands how to keep patients' vitamins and minerals where they need to be after DS.  Drs. Davis are both excited to be able to offer this procedure and Jamie is excited to be able to teach the nutritional aspects to patients ... she's worked with over 3000 DS patients through Dr. Husted's practice when she was in Nashville for 8+ years.

Kimberly Taylor
The Davis Clinic
Lap RNY 7-8-02
Nicolle
on 10/26/09 11:45 am
Kimberly,

Please tell Dr. Garth that Nicolle, the DSer from the Chicago OH conference, says "you're welcome."

I was the woman who lost 200 pounds, my diabetes and sleep apnea and called him out on the fact that he was using the incredible DS success stats to talk about "how bariatric surgery saves lives." I guess I harrassed him enough about his inability to do the amazing DS throughout the day!

Best of luck to him. I hope he is proctoring with a good DS doc, like John Rabkin (whom Dr. Garth called "the best DS surgeon in the world.")

Nicolle (me, on the left)

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/09 11:46 pm - Woodbridge, VA
I'm glad he's had a change of heart. I jus****ched a clip from Big Medicine on TLC.com where he discussed the different types of procedures, and he said he didn't like the BPD/DS because it was too malabsorptive. He also never even mentioned the VSG, which I know he now performs.
Guate Wife
on 10/27/09 2:13 am - Grand Rapids, MI

Even today, a VSG patient of Dr. Robert Davis, who claims to email correspond with Dr. Garth Davis on a regular basis, claims that the Drs. Davis much prefer the VSG over the DS, and that they really don't support the DS even to this day.  Interesting claim, considering all of the effort these surgeons need to undergo to be qualified to perform the DS, and all the changes their staff need to make to accomodate DS after-care.

Considering that Dr. Garth Davis himself uses DS stats when representing the success of WLS, I find it all very confusing.

But, said poster has been known to lie in the past, so I guess only time will tell.

~ I am the proud wife of a Guatemalan, but most people call me Kimberley
Highest Known Weight  =  370#  /  59.7 bmi  @  5'6"

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

Kimberly_Taylor
on 10/27/09 2:55 am
Hey there,

I'm not sure why this good news is turning south, but I'd like to put some clarity on why Drs. Davis -- until now -- have chosen not to do the DS procedure.  It's called patient compliance.  It's not that they do not "believe" in the procedure.  Quite to the contrary.  They do; however, they have had to weigh the probability of patients not taking their vitamins/minerals with the end results of weight loss.  Until now, they have not had staff that has expertise in the DS and nutrition.  That has changed and now that they have expertise in the nutritional aspects so as to support patients in their education and compliance, they are willing to do the procedure.

So ... it wasn't because they didn't "like it."  They simply didn't want to put patients at risk of greater vitamin deficiencies and not be able to support their education on an on-going basis.  They want to always do the right thing for patients, even if it means choosing not to perform a certain procedure. Had they done the DS previously, they would have done so knowing that folks wouldn't get the proper education and support.  So ... I hope people will respect that about these docs.  

The DS is a great procedure, but it's not right for everyone.  Likewise, matched up to the right patient, the LAP-BAND is a great procedure, as is the sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass.  We are truly blessed to live in a time when people have options.  When I had my bypass, it was the only option offered to me.  In a relatively short time, many procedures have become available and that's a great thing!  

Every person is different, has a different starting weight, different comorbid conditions to treat, different medications, different medical history, etc.  What I truly admire about Drs. Davis is that they tailor the procedure to the patient, to their lifestyle, their commitment, their preferences, etc.

I hope that puts some clarity on their choice to wait to do the DS procedure up until this time. If we get a third season of BIG MEDICINE, it's certainly something they'll be able to put a spotlight on, furthering their efforts to educate those suffering from morbid obesity, as well as working hard to change the bias of society towards those of us that suffer.

Y'all have a great day, stay positive, and keep doing the head work and heart work involved on this journey.  We're worth it!  :-)

Thankful to God for having been given a "do-over ..."

Kimberly Taylor
The Davis Clinic
Lap RNY 7-8-02