Normal labs and CT scan, but continuing abdominal pain

annkate77
on 9/18/09 2:10 pm
I had my RNY June 4th, and my gallbladder (open) on June 27th.  It took me a while to recover, and I would hope that at this point, I would be completely recovered.  Unfortunately, I still have some very chronic aching on my right side (where the gallbladder was removed) and it travels around to my back.  It can be sharp and stabbing, depending on my position.  It is difficult to take a deep breath in without hurting.  I have taken the 2nd day out sick from work since my return a month ago.  I have applied for FMLA-intermidant-for days like today.  With the economy as it is, I dont' want to lose my position.  Every night, I sleep with a warm back on my side and abdomen.  I just don't know what could be wrong. THe labs, including my liver enzymes, pancreatic enzymes, CBC, and chemistry panels were all normal.  And the CT scan was also normal.   Has this happened to anyone else? What was it? Am I just slow to heal? Any ideas or support or nice words would be appreciated. Thank you!
Thanks for reading!
AnnKate

tryingtobethin55 me
on 9/18/09 2:18 pm
did they check your kidney function...  bun and creatinin?
annkate77
on 9/18/09 2:23 pm
yep, BUN and creat are fine too. Not even dehydration or anemia. Even though, I pumped in about 6 liters of fluids IV to prevent my last side effects of the CT scan, and my body sure needed it cause I am not peeing it out very fast!  
Thanks for reading!
AnnKate

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/09 2:28 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
I haven't had gall bladder problems, but I've seen posts on this site where some people have been found to have stones in the tubes from the bladder so that the gall bladder site is inflamed. 

Good luck!
poet_kelly
on 9/18/09 2:33 pm - OH
I assume they checked to make sure you didn't have a gall stone in the bile duct or someplace outside of the actual gall bladder, right?

Kelly
paracelsus51
on 9/18/09 3:00 pm
Have they checked your ovaries for cysts? I had moving pain in my side (in my case, my left side same side as my band) and had to go through three doctors to get it diagnosed and a fourth to treat it. Pain in the front and in the back and the side and pelvis. Didn't really sound familiar to anyone. It usually gets worse over time. All my labs are fine.

It may also have something to do with your diaphragm. If that got irritated or cut, that can cause a lot of pain.
OregonGal
on 9/18/09 3:48 pm - Beaverton, OR
Sorry, AnnKate, you are still having a lot of pain after almost 3 months following your surgery. I had open RNY and was in quite a bit of pain for 2 months, the difference being I was slowly getting better.  Something doesn't seem right here - if I were you, I would keep your doc informed of your ongoing pain, maybe even get a second opinion?

((((HUGS))))
Anne
Ad1dasAthl3t3
on 6/2/15 2:56 pm

I would look into Adhesions.  They are caused after one has abdominal surgery.  I had surgery this year. 

I can't say it helped,  but it has for some. 

They wanted to send me to a Passion Clinic first,  but after researching the procedure of inserting needles into the abdominal cavity,  I told my Dr that I wasn't going to go through that with only a 20% success rate. 

My surgery was done laproscopically,  and it hurt just as badly. 

I wish you all the luck! 

annkate77
on 9/19/09 6:51 pm
Thanks everyone for your ideas.  I asked that if there was anything else that would show up on something other than a CT scan, and they said that there was noting they could think of. I know that any stones and cysts would show up on the CT scan.  Basically, our plan is to watch it again for a month, if it gets worse, I will call and get in right away.  If it doesn't, than we are hoping it is just related to my many surgeries and I am still healing.  I am a type 1 diabetic, so slower healing is expected, its just 3 months is a little ridiculus. Thanks again

Thanks for reading!
AnnKate

Most Active