Why does gastric bypass patients look sickly?

New Shell
on 8/17/09 4:50 am - Livermore Falls, ME
I don't think or feel sickly.  I think it has a lot to do with how a person dresses themselves and how they take care of themselves. 
Heaviest 297 / Consult 287/ Pre Op 267/ Current 189

M M
on 8/17/09 5:49 am
RNY causes rapid weight loss pretty much via semi starvation in the first few months.  While you're used to seeing a round, wrinkle-free body--- it soon gets deflated, saggy, loose and sometimes anemic and deficient.

Some people just get hit harder than others.  You'd never know some people ever had WLS - some you can tell.  (AKA Me, without makeup.  LOL)
greenpunchbuggie
on 8/17/09 5:54 am - Maplewood, NJ
quite honestly, i would much prefer "sickly" to the way i looked before (bloated).  i could barely even walk around the block or up the stairs.  and i was sweating and disgusting ALL the time.  not that i am the most fabulous looking individucal now... but i would prefer some dark circles and a little hanging skin to the way i looked before.
HW: 260 SW: 231 CW: 153 GW: 140                

Elizabeth N.
on 8/17/09 6:50 am - Burlington County, NJ
It seems to happen after rapid weight loss of any kind. I think it takes our bodies a bit of time to catch up to the new realities, and this shows.
MsBatt
on 8/17/09 10:33 am
Please explore ALL your possible WLS options. There are several.
Valerie G.
on 8/17/09 10:56 am, edited 8/17/09 10:58 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I've got lots of malabsorption and look perfectly healthy, thankyouverymuch.
As for others, it could be for many reasons, but likely dehydration or malnutrition if they're not nourising themselves properly.

Then again, Heidi may have a point about just needing more makeup.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/17/09 1:06 pm - OH
Although a lot of people who lose a lot of weight look very different because of the loose skin on their faces... but I don't think that qualifies as "sickly".

As the others have said... look at our pics.... do we look sickly?  I think not!  A little saggy/wrinkly, but definitely not sickly.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active