Tossing the thing back and forth now.....any insight?

BeSwitched
on 8/5/09 12:03 pm, edited 2/11/12 6:46 pm

Cheri H.
on 8/5/09 2:24 pm - Brampton, Canada
Regarding the post op lifestyle you're talking about definitely check out the DS....it's definitely not just for heavyweights.

As for preop and post op liquid diet - that varies doctor to doctor.  Mine didn't require preop liquid diet - except for the day before surgery.  I left the hospital on soft foods.  That said, the first few weeks he does require you to drink protein supplements because your stomach is too small to take in enough protein your body needs to heal.  I had a bit of a problem in this area because like you I cannot stomach protein shakes...ugh...disgusting.  Instead what I did was get flavourless protein and made smoothies that I added the protein too.  I added protein to sugarfree puddings as well...there are a lot of options out there to make the protein supplements doable.

HTH
Cheri                                                                                                              I the DS!

I had the Duodenal Switch!  Do yourself a favour and check out www.dsfacts.com - especially if your BMI is over 50!

HW: 426/SW: 421/CW: 165/ GW: 150           Current BMI is 26.6!         
Crazeru
on 8/5/09 2:28 pm
Hi Carrie,
My BMI was only 39.  I went with the DS to cure my diabetes.  It did, along with my hbp, cholesterol and PCOS.  Check out the DS forum here, dsfacts.com and duodenalswitch.com (has a great search function).

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Lavoyce
on 8/5/09 2:41 pm
Hi Carrie:

First of all, you will be able to eat some "normal" things in MODERATION! This is a life changing experience.....I think 1% milk would be ok....it would just take longer to loose the weight.

As far as Optifast goes....it tastes a LOT better then the brands you named. Also, I put mine in the blender (powder) with ice chips, and my favorite flavorings added to make it taste better. i.e. in the chocolate powder I've put coconut flavoring and it tastes like a mounds bar! In the vanilla, I've added vanilla flavor to make the taste more intense.....also a friend of mine added Splenda to hers...I didnt feel the need to do that, but it might taste better to you to add that. I'm not sure which surgery you're looking at, but I have friends that have had the Gastric bypass (loose weight faster) and the Lap Band (such as myself). You dont loose as fast with the Band, but you can get fills when needed for the rest of your life. Of course there are rules and suggestions to follow, or you wont loose weight, nor keep it off.
I know it sounds like an awful ending to the way of life we knew....but it'll be worth it when you like what you see in the mirror!! You will be able to eat fruit, steak, etc later on too. That wont take that long after surgery...bu****ch your portion sizes....
It'll be worth it and WE can do it! I know it's a struggle as I just had my surgery june 16th, but I wont give up!  Hang in there!!  Jus****ch quantity, portion sizes and dont go too far off of what you need to do to loose weight and keep it off. GOOD LUCK!

We'll get there! Lavoyce : )

larra
on 8/6/09 2:22 am - bay area, CA
Carrie, I'm impressed with your honesty. You have taken a good look at yourself and realized that there are some changes you would be able to live with and some you would not. So many people are so desparate that they just go for it with whatever surgery their insurance will approve without a fight, or what the first surgeon recommends, and post-op find the going a lot tougher than expected.
    Reading your post, I couldn't help but think that the DS might be the right choice for you, though of course, ultimately, the decision has to be yours - and definitely NOT the decision of a surgeon who doesn't even do the DS and still has the outdated thinking that it's only for the SMO. So not true! There are many "lightweights" having the DS and doing great with it.
    There are lifestyle changes needed for success with any wls, but the changes for the DS are so much less extreme. You would need to emphasize protein, but could eat fat and cook with fat without problem. Carbs do need to be limited, esp in the weight loss phase, but you can have some without it being a disaster. No dumping. No food getting stuck. You can drink liquids with meals, You can take NSAIDs. You eat pretty much a smaller but normal meal.
    My surgeon did not require a pre-op or post-op liquid diet, except for the first day post-op. I went home on soft foods. I did have more trouble eating than most DSers for some unknown reason, so I used protein shakes, once daily, just for a few months. But since the DS allows you to eat fat, I had much more choices for the protein shakes, and used the Adkins shakes, which taste pretty good. I did try some products from GNC and the like, and agree with you. They were awful! But Adkins isn't bad at all.
    Come on over to the DS forum and learn more about it. You already sound like a future DSer! Ask anything you like, and if you want some great articles documenting the excellent longterm results of the DS, not just for weight loss but for overall health, just send me a pm.

Larra